#5 Wrestling Opens at Home vs. #3 Missouri Thursday
TEMPE, Ariz. – No. 5 Arizona State is set for a statement match Thursday at Mullett Arena. The Sun Devils home opener pits them against No. 3 Missouri. Matches are scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m. AZ, and will be streaming on Pac-12 Insider. There will be 10 All-Americans, including a national champion and two runners-up, in the building, making this one of the biggest duals of the season. Surface-lot parking (Lot 59) is free. Tickets are still available.
#5 Wrestling Gets 7 Titles, 4 Hammers at Journeymen Collegiate Classic
Negron's Pin Highlights #5 ASU's Victory Over #21 Rutgers
The marquee match will be at 149 lbs where ASU's 2x All-American No. 3 Kyle Parco is set to face Missouri's 3x All-American No. 8 Brock Mauller. Fresh off an undefeated weekend, No. 19 Tony Negron will take the mat against '22 NCAA defending national champion and current No. 1 Keegan O'Toole at 165 lbs. The heavyweight bout will see Cohlton Schultz, the 2022 NCAA heavyweight runner-up and current No. 1, take on Missouri's No. 7 Zach Elam. At 197 there's the potential of seeing All-Americans Kordell Norfleet and Rocky Elam faceoff too.
The stars come out Thursday. Two heavy hitting teams you won't want to miss. pic.twitter.com/WmsvNeWLGa
— Sun Devil Wrestling (@ASUWrestling) November 15, 2022
Sun Devil Notables
- Arizona State is currently ranked No. 4 according to FloWrestling and No. 5 according to InterMat. The program is looking to build on its back-to-back fourth place finishes at the NCAA National Championships.
- McGee's 114 collegiate wins lead the Sun Devils' active roster. Brandon Courtney is right behind him with 93.
- This will be the sixth matchup between Arizona State and Missouri. ASU leads the series 3-2.
- Arizona State started its season off 1-0 with a 25-16 victory over No. 21 Rutgers, claiming victories at 125, 133, 149, 165, 174, and 197. ASU then won seven titles the next day at the Journeymen Collegiate Classic. Richard Figueroa, Michael McGee, Jesse Vasquez, and Tony Negron all won Hammer Awards.
- After transferring from Penn State, Tony Negron entered this season unranked. In his first match with Arizona State, Negron pinned Rutgers '22 All-American Connor O'Neill in 1:40 and went on to beat Penn's No. 19 Lucas Ravno by decision at the Journeyman Collegiate Classic. Negron is now ranked No. 19 in the nation by FloWrestling.
- Richie Figueroa (125 lbs) claimed two ranked victories this weekend. The first came against Rutgers' No. 20 Dylan Shawver, and the second came in the Journeyman Collegiate Classic against Penn's No. 18 Ryan Miller.
- The Sun Devils have seven All-Americans on the roster in Brandon Courtney (125 lbs, 3x), Michael McGee (133 lbs, 2x), Kyle Parco (149 lbs, 2x), Jacori Teemer (157 lbs, 3x), Anthony Montalvo (184), Kordell Norfleet (197) Cohlton Schultz (HWT, 2x).
- Courtney and Schultz are chasing NCAA individual titles after finishing as runners-up in their respective weight classes. Courtney earned silver in 2021, and Schultz earned silver in 2022.
- This ASU squad has historically been successful in the first battles of the year. The Sun Devils claimed a 22-12 win over No. 17 Oklahoma last fall and had 13 titles across the first two tournaments. In fall 2021, ASU picked up a pair of dual victories over Little Rock (39-3) and No. 20 Oklahoma (20-12).
- Zeke Jones (ASU)
- 3x Pac-12 Coach of the Year; part of the 1988 national championship team; directly responsible for 5 Pac-12 team titles, 32 individual conference champions, 25 All-Americans, and back-to-back NCAA team trophies.
- Missouri is beginning the season ranked No. 3 in the country, according to FloWrestling. The Tigers placed ninth in last year's NCAA Championships and had two wrestlers finish with All-American honors.
- Sophomore Keegan O'Toole is the 165 lb defending national champion, and currently sits at No. 1 on FloWrestling's rankings. O'Toole is 44-1 over his collegiate career, and wrapped up last season with a flawless 25-0 record.
- Sophomore Rocky Elam was Missouri's second '22 All-American, finishing fourth place at 197 lbs. FloWrestling's No. 4 wrestler at 197 lbs, Elam is coming off two top-5 NCAA finishes, as he left the 2021 NCAA Championships with a 5th place tally, and his first All-American honors.
- Redshirt Junior Brock Mauller (149 lbs) finished his true junior season with All-American honors and a fifth place finish at the '21 NCAA Championships. He took last season to wrestle unattached and competed for the United States at the U23 World Championships in Belgrade, Serbia, and is now back in Missouri's lineup as the No. 8 wrestler in the country.
- Redshirt Sophomore No. 14 Noah Surtin was a '22 NCAA qualifier at 125 lbs and placed seventh at the '22 Big-12 Championships. He started last season off 7-1, beating three ranked opponents in four matches.
- A 3x NCAA qualifier, Redshirt Senior Allan Hart (141 lbs) is coming off a year that found him runner-up at the Big-12 Championships with a 16-7 season record. Hart is currently ranked No. 6 by FloWrestling.
- A MAC champion and 4x NCAA qualifier, No. 15 Jarrett Jacques (157 lbs) is entering his senior season after an 18-14 junior season that saw him place fifth at the Big-12 Championships.
- '22 Big-12 Championships runner-up (174 lbs), Redshirt Junior Peyton Mocco is a 3x NCAA qualifier and ranked No. 9 heading into this matchup.
- Redshirt Junior Zach Elam, brother to Rocky, is FloWrestling's No. 7 heavyweight in the nation. Zach is a 3x NCAA qualifier, and finished last season with an 18-7 record, finishing third at the Big-12 Championships.
ASU Probable Lineup
125: No. 5 Brandon Courtney: 2x All-American, 3x Pac-12 Champion
or Richard Figueroa: Won bronze at 57 kg at the 2021 Junior Pan American Games
133: No. 4 Michael McGee: 2x All-American, Pac-12 Champion
or Julian Chlebove: 7-6 record as Redshirt freshman, earning two tech falls and one major decision.
141: HM Jesse Vasquez: 7-1 before season-ending injury in 2021-22 season
149: No. 3 Kyle Parco: 2x All-American, Pac-12 Champion
157: Max Wilner: Appeared in 3 tournaments, earning a 7-4 overall record with 2 falls
or Michael Kilic: 3x state champion in Georgia, 2x Fargo All-American (Greco-Roman Champion)
165: No. 19 Tony Negron: Transferred from Penn State where he went 5-0 at Edinboro Open
174: Cael Valencia: Redshirted last year, going 12-4 in open tournaments
or Josh Nummer: Went 2-2 at the '22 Pac-12 Championships
184: No. 20 Anthony Montalvo: All-American, '20 Big-12 bronze medalist
197: Jonathon Fagen: Transferred from Cornell where he went 6-7 as a freshman
or No. 15 Kordell Norfleet: 4x NCAA Qualifier, 4x Pac-12 Champion
HWT: No. 1 Cohlton Schultz: 2x Pac-12 Champion, 2x All-American, '22 NCAA runner-up
or David Palosika: Did not compete last season
Missouri Probable lineup
125: No. 14 Noah Surtin: '22 NCAA qualifier
133: HM Connor Brown: '18 NCAA qualifier
141: No. 6 Allan Hart: 3x NCAA qualifier
or Kordin Shepherd
149: No. 8 Brock Mauller: 3x All-American, '21 fifth place finish
157: No. 15 Jarrett Jacques: 4x NCAA qualifier
165: No. 1 Keegan O'Toole: Defending national champion, 2x All-American
or James Conway
174: No. 9 Peyton Mocco: 3x NCAA qualifier
184: No. 22 Colton Hawks: Wrestled to an 8-3 record as unattached competitor last year
or Sean Herman
197: No. 4 Rocky Elam: 2x All-American, '22 fourth place finish, '21 fifth place finish
or Jesse Cassatt
HWT: No. 7 Zach Elam: 3x NCAA qualifier
Arizona State will head back on the road this weekend to compete in the Keystone Classic in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Nov. 20th. Wrestling starts at 9:00 a.m. AZ. More information about this tournament can be found here.