UCLA Closes Season Series with Oregon Schools
LOS ANGELES – The UCLA women's volleyball team ends its regular season with a four-match road stand, beginning with a trip north to No. 12 Oregon and Oregon State. The Bruins (14-11, 8-8 Pac-12) open the weekend in Eugene, Ore. with a matchup versus the Ducks (19-5, 13-3 Pac-12) on Friday, Nov. 18 at 7 p.m. (PT) in Matthew Knight Arena. UCLA will then look to sweep the season series against the Beavers (7-19, 2-14 Pac-12) on Sunday, Nov. 20 at 12 p.m. (PT).
UCLA at No 12 Oregon
Friday, Nov. 18, 2022 – 7 p.m. PT
Eugene, Ore. (Matthew Knight Arena)
Watch: Pac-12 Network
Talent: Rich Burk
Live Stats: uclalivestats.com
UCLA at Oregon State
Sunday, Nov. 20, 2022 – 12 p.m. PT
Corvallis, Ore. (Gill Coliseum)
Watch: Pac-12 Network
Talent: Rich Burk
Live Stats: uclalivestats.com
UCLA split its final home matches of the season last weekend with a five-set win over California and three-set loss to No. 8 Stanford.
• Despite a career hitting night by Golden Bear outside Lydia Grote (28 K), the Bruins were able to pull off the reverse sweep thanks to yet another double-digit kill performance by middle blocker Anna Dodson (14 K, .379). élan McCall scored a team-high 17 kills.
• Dodson led UCLA with a game-high-tying 14 kills an four blocks in the Bruins' sweep loss to No. 8 Stanford. She had eight kills in the first set alone. The Cardinal hit .277 compared to UCLA's .182.
Noting the Bruins
• The Bruins are hitting .231 (13.52 KPS) while their opponents are hitting .195 (12.06 KPS).
• Charitie Luper leads the Bruins with 3.32 kills per set at a .248 clip.
• McCall leads the Bruins with 256 total kills on the season while ranking second on the squad in digs with 223.
• Libero Mackenzie Cole leads UCLA with 3.70 digs per set (333 total digs).
• Setter Matti McKissock leads UCLA with 10.46 assists per set. She currently has 4,992 career assists including her four seasons at Georgia Tech (4,103 AST) and 889 assists so far this season.
UCLA must win at least one out of its next four contests to be eligible for an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.
Last Time Against the Ducks & Beavers
The Bruins split its home stand against the Oregon schools in mid-October earlier this season, sweeping the Beavers and losing in five sets to then-No. 17 Oregon.
• Against Oregon State, Tristin Savage recorded a career-high six kills and five blocks in her first start of the season. Savage scored the first point of every set as well as notched back-to-bck kills midway through the third to tie and then give UCLA a 10-9 lead which they didn't relinquish for the remainder of the match.
• Against the Ducks, Anna Dodson had one of her most efficient nights of the season with 13 kills and no errors on 20 attempts (.650). Dodson scored set point with a tape-tickling ace dealt 12 feet beyond the service line.
Middle blocker Anna Dodson, the Bruins' most efficient attacker this season at a team-best .345 clip, has reach double-digit kills in seven consecutive matches and 11 total times this season. She entered 2022 with just seven total double-digit kill outings in her previous two seasons. Over UCLA's last seven matches, Dodson is just a hair behind McCall in kills per set with 3.64 (McCall - 3.67 KPS) and first with 80 total kills. She also established a new career-high in kills (15 at .478) and points (19.5) versus Arizona on Nov. 4.
élan McCall has racked up a team-high eight double-doubles this season, including a streak of four straight from Sept. 30-Oct. 9. She has 32 in her career dating back to her freshman year at TCU. McCall has reached double-digit kills in 11 of her last 13 matches. In that span, McCall leads UCLA with 162 kills (3.38 pers set).. This season, McCall has averaged 3.08 kills per set and 2.69 digs per set. Both marks rank second on the team.
1,000 Kills & 1,000 Digs
élan McCall recorded the 1,000th dig of her career on Oct. 2 versus Colorado, and two matches later in the fourth set at Arizona on Oct. 9, picked up her 1,000th career kill. McCall, a 2018 All-Big-12 First Team and 2021 All-Pac-12 First Team honoree, amassed 463 kills in her two seasons at TCU and currently has 642 as a Bruin for a career total of 1,105. Dig wise, at TCU she recorded 394 and currently has 703 at UCLA.
Since entering the starting lineup six matches ago on Oct. 14 against Oregon State, Tristin Savage had averaged 1.46 points per set with 0.94 KPS and 0.85 BPS. Savage's start versus the Beavers was her first start in over a season since March 12, 2021 against Utah. Savage stepped up in a big way against Oregon State with a then-career-high six kills and then-career-high five blocks for 8.5 points, tied for second-most on the team. Against Cal on Oct. 23, Savage recorded a career-high eight kills at a .536 clip in addition to five blocks (1 BS, 4 BA) for a career-high 11.0 points. And most recently at Utah, Savage racked up a new career high seven blocks (1 BS, 6 BA).
Since being reinserted into the starting lineup against Washington on Sept. 25, Charitie Luper has led the Bruins with 182 kills over UCLA's last 15 matches. Luper has recorded double-digit kills in 10 of those contests and tallied a double-double in five of them. She is up to nine career double-doubles. Luper set a career-high in kills with 25 at Arizona earlier this season on Oct. 9. Last season, Luper ranked second on the squad with 227 kills, averaging 3.39 kills per set despite missing the team's final eight conference matches of the season.
The Bruins have trotted out eight different starting lineups this season, including six different lineups during Pac-12 play alone.
Season-Highs for McKissock
Most recently, Matti McKissock recorded a season-high in assists for a three-set match with 42 versus Arizona State on Nov. 6. She also established a season-high 54 assists versus Oregon on Oct. 16. At Colorado on Oct. 28, McKissock also recorded a career-high 20 digs.
Matti McKissock is eight assists shy of reaching the 5,000 assist mark in her five-year career. Currently, McKissock has 4,992 career assists including her four seasons at Georgia Tech (4,103 AST) and 889 assists so far this season.
Mackenzie Cole is three digs shy of reaching the 2,000 dig mark in her five-year career. Currently, Cole has 1,997 career digs including her four seasons at Duke (1,664 DIG) and 333 digs so far this season.
Oregon Series History
• UCLA leads the all-time series against Oregon, 59-17, dating back to 1976.
• Oregon has won six out of the last 10 meetings with UCLA.
Oregon State Series History
• UCLA leads the all-time series against Oregon State, 69-3, dating back to 1971.
• UCLA is on a 28-match winning streak against the Beavers, and has not lost to Oregon State since 2007.