USC Women's Volleyball Falls to No. 12 Oregon in Five Sets
EUGENE, Ore. – The USC women's volleyball team (20-9, 12-6 Pac-12) was defeated in five sets (21-25, 23-25, 25-20, 25-20, 15-12) by No. 12 Oregon (21-5, 15-3) at Matthew Knight Arena on Sunday, Nov. 20.
- Sr. OH Skylar Fields led the Trojans and matched her career high with 27 kills (7e, 56att, .357). She also had six digs and two blocks. It was her 26th match in double-digit kills this season and her 15th time with 20 or more kills.
- Fr. OH Jordan Wilson added 15 kills (4e) on 31 swings for a .355 hitting percentage with five digs.
- Sr. OPP Emilia Weske put up 15 kills as well (3e, 26att) for a .462 hitting line and had four digs and two service aces. She is now just two kills from becoming the 19th player in program history to register 1,000-career kills.
- So. setter Mia Tuaniga put up 58 assists with 10 digs, a kill, and a service ace. It was her seventh double-double of the season and the 15th of her career.
- Jr. MB Lindsey Miller tallied eight kills (3e, 16att) to hit .312.
- Gr. LIB Kelli Barry had eight digs and a season-high nine assists.
- For Oregon, Mimi Colyer had 29 kills (4e, 54att) for a .463 hitting rate and added four blocks, four digs, and four aces. Brooke Nuneviller scored 19 kills (3e, 38att) to hit .421 and had seven digs and two aces. Hannah Pukis put up 62 assists with eight digs and had two blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The score was tied seven times in the opening frame, but the Trojans pulled away to lead by as many as six points and claimed a 25-21 win behind eight kills from Fields and four from Wilson.
- USC weathered an Oregon comeback and went ahead, 2-0, in the match with a 25-23 win in the second set. The Trojans hit .417 with five kills apiece from Fields and Weske and four more from Wilson.
- A slow start in the third would eventually lead to a 25-20 win for the Ducks. Despite nine ties, the third lead change went Oregon's way. The Ducks hit .455 in the third with seven kills from Colyer.
- The home team never trailed in the fourth set and forced set five with a 25-20 win. Colyer poured in eight more kills while Fields tallied six more herself. The Ducks out-hit USC, .571 to .407 in the frame, but a sequence in which the Trojans could have pulled within one on a service ace put momentum in the Ducks' hands for good.
- USC led, 6-4, in the fifth, but Oregon scored four straight points to wrestle away the lead. The Ducks went in front, 10-7, but were met at 10-all by the Trojans. UO grabbed match point at 14-11 before finishing off the 15-12 win.
- The Trojans remain on the road and head to Seattle for a Wednesday-night meeting with 21st-ranked Washington (19-9, 11-7 Pac-12). The USC-UW match will be shown live on Pac-12 Networks with a 5:30 p.m. PT start from Alaska Airlines Arena at the Hec Edmundson Pavilion.
- USC fell to 56-19 all-time against Oregon and to 28-7 as the Ducks' visitor. The teams split the regular-season series.
- The Trojans went to 58-14 all-time in the state of Oregon (28-7 in Eugene).
- USC played in its sixth five-set match this season and fell to 2-4 in those contests. The Trojans go to 146-103 all-time in five-set matches and to 64-50 in five-setters played on the road.
- The match was the sixth time in the last seven USC-Oregon meetings that has gone five sets. In those, USC is 0-6. In 12 all-time five-set matches with the Ducks, the Trojans are now 6-6.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.