Top 4 seeds advance to 2021 Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Championship quarterfinals
LOS ANGELES - The first day of the 2021 Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Championship saw the second-ranked team in the country and defending national champion UCLA cruise into Friday’s quarterfinal round at their home campus, Mapes Beach in Los Angeles. All of the Championship’s top-four seeds won their opening dual, including second-seeded and second-ranked UCLA and fourth-seeded STANFORD.
The day opened with No. 8 seed OREGON (8-9) posting its second-ever win in the Championships. The eighth-seeded Ducks topped ninth-seeded UTAH, 3-2. UO’s Vivian Donovan/Zoe Almanza forced a third set after winning the first (21-11) and losing the second set (17-21) to Utah’s Camille Lee/Keana Smalls. But, UO’s duo came out on top in the third set (16-14), giving Oregon the third and deciding point before play was suspended. The first win of the tournament gave Oregon the opportunity to move on and play top-seeded and No. 1 nationally ranked USC later in the day.
The second match of the day saw UCLA (25-3) advance to the quarterfinals with a 3-0 win over seventh-seeded WASHINGTON (4-12). UCLA’s Megan Muret/Jacqueline Quade defeated Washington’s Ashley Shook/Hannah Yerex (21-17, 21-14) to give UCLA a 1-0 lead. The Bruins extended to a 2-1 lead with a Lea Monkhouse/Devon Newberry victory over Washington’s Avie Niece/Natalie Robinson (21-15, 21-10). Savvy Simo/Lexy Denaburg clinched the dual win for the Bruins with a 21-15, 21-15 triumph over UW’s Shayne McPherson/Chloe Loreen. UCLA will compete in the Winners Bracket Second Round vs. No. 3 Arizona Friday, 11:30 a.m., PT.
The No. 3 seed advanced in the winners bracket as ARIZONA beat sixth-seeded rival ARIZONA STATE in a 3-0 win that had two out of the three deciding matches go into a third set. The Wildcats got off to a 1-0 lead when Dana Parker/Mady Noble defeated ASU’s Lila Bordis/Samantha Plaster in two sets (21-9, 22-20). Arizona’s Sarah Blacker/Brooke Burling pushed their match against ASU’s Kate Fitzgerald/Emily Anderson into a third set (28-30, 21-15, 15-7) to put Arizona in a 2-0 lead. The match was decided with a three-set match between Arizona’s Alana Rennie/Alex Parkhurst and ASU’s Katelyn Carballo/Lexi Sweeney that wrapped up with Arizona on top (20-22, 21-13, 15-11). Arizona will face the second-ranked team in the country and defending national champion UCLA Friday at 11:30 a.m., PT. Arizona State is set to face No. 7 seed Washington at 9:45 a.m., PT Friday morning after the Huskies defeated No. 9 Utah in the contenders bracket on Friday afternoon.
The day continued with fourth-seeded and No. 9 nationally ranked STANFORD’s (21-9) defeat over No. 11 CALIFORNIA (3-2) in the afternoon. The two teams split four previous matchups this year and this match was equally competitive, as the Bears were off to an early lead when Ainsley Radell/Jordan Polo defeated Stanford’s Charlie Ekstrom/Maya Harvey (21-18, 21-15). The face off between Cal’s Maddie Micheletti/Maya Gessner and Stanford’s Emmy Sharp/Amelia Smith was a close battle that brought the match on court two to three sets which eventually ended in a victory for the Cardinal victory to even the score 1-1. The Cardinal took the lead with a 21-18, 21-13 victory by Xolani Hodel/Sunny Villapando on court 1, while the Golden Bears answered on court 3 when Cal’s Alexia Inman/Ava Mann took down Kate Reilly/Maddi Kriz of Stanford in three sets (21-18, 17-21, 15-13). Stanford eventually took the victory with a win on court 5 by Jordan McKinney/Maddie Dailey over Brooke Buchner/Grace Paulson 21-12, 21-13.
The first round of the Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Championships also featured the No. 1 seed and defending Pac-12 beach volleyball champion USC (23-2) sweep No. 8 seed Oregon (8-10). USC's first dual point came from Joy Dennis/Delaynie Maple over Ashley Schroeder/Bea Wetton in straight sets, (21-12, 21-10). This was the 11th straight win as a pair for Dennis/Maple. This also marked a historic match for Joy Dennis, who became the ninth Trojan in program history to record 100 career wins. The Trojans advanced to a 2-0 lead on court 2, where Julia Scoles/Sammy Slater took down Josie Cole/Anastasia Lima in a (21-9, 21-9) win. Tina Graudina/Megan Kraft grabbed the clinching point for the Trojans after a (21-9, 21-10) win at the top court against Madelyn LaFollette/Carly Wallace. The Trojans improved to 6-0 all-time against the Ducks and face fourth-seeded and ninth-ranked Stanford (21-9) in the winner's bracket at 1:15 p.m. PT on Friday.
Seventh-seeded WASHINGTON bounced back from a 3-0 loss to the Bruins and outlasted the Utes, 3-0, in the contenders bracket. Washington’s Avie Niece/Natalie Robinson secured the first point for the Huskies, with a win at No. 2 against Utah's Sage Patchell/Olivia Teerlink (21-18, 21-9). The second point came from Washington’s No. 4 pair Ashley Shook/Hannah Yerex over Utah’s Mia Kowalczyk/Joana S. Mondragon, (21-6, 21-18). Shayne McPherson/Chloe Loreen secured the final point for the Huskies at the No.1 spot over Utah's Marissa Koch/Grace Andrews (21-9, 21-8). The seventh-seeded Huskies will take on sixth-seeded Arizona State Friday morning at 9:45 a.m. in another elimination match.
Over the next 3 days, the Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Championship tournament will have 5 of the top-11 ranked teams in the country battling it out before the 2021 NCAA Beach Volleyball Championship takes place May 7-9 in Gulf Shores, Ala.
The action continues on Friday with California and Oregon competing in the contenders bracket at 8 a.m. PT, followed by Washington and Arizona State set to compete at 9:45 a.m. No. 2 UCLA will face off against No. 3 Arizona at 11:30 a.m. PT, followed by another quarterfinal matchup between No. 1 USC and No. 4 Stanford at 1:15 p.m.
The Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Championship airs live across Pac-12 Networks and on the Pac-12 Now app. For updated scores and bracket throughout the championship, visit Pac-12.com/BVBChamps.
2021 PAC-12 BEACH VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Mapes Beach, Los Angeles, California (UCLA)
* all Duals played to decision.
Dual 1: #8 OREGON def. #9 UTAH, 3-2
- Marissa Koch/Grace Andrews (UTAH) def. Carly Wallace/Madelyn LaFollette (ORE) 21-15, 18-21, 15-12
- Sage Patchell/Olivia Teerlink (UTAH) def. Josie Cole/Anastasia Lima (ORE) 21-12, 21-18
- Vivian Donovan/Zoe Almanza (ORE) def. Camille Lee/Keana Smalls (UTAH) 21-11, 17-21, 16-14
- Bea Wetton/Ashley Schroeder (ORE) def. Mia Kowalczyk/Joana S. Mondragon (UTAH) 21-14, 21-14
- Savannah Siegrist/Delaney Hopin (ORE) def. Macy Rideout/Hannah Stahle (UTAH) 21-11, 21-12
Order of finish: 2,4,5,1,3
Dual 2: #2 UCLA def. #7 WASHINGTON, 3-0
- Savvy Simo/Lexy Denaburg (UCLA) def. Shayne McPherson/Chloe Loreen (UW) 21-15, 21-15
- Lea Monkhouse/Devon Newberry (UCLA) def. Avie Niece/Natalie Robinson (UW) 21-15, 21-10
- Abby Van Winkle/Lindsey Sparks (UCLA) vs. Scarlett Dahl/Kyra Peterson (UW) 21-9, 11-9, unfinished
- Megan Muret/Jacqueline Quade (UCLA) def. Ashley Shook/Hannah Yerex (UW) 21-17, 21-14
- Rileigh Powers/Jaden Whitmarsh (UCLA) vs. Cassidy Schilling/Callie Weber (UW) 21-13, 6-4, unfinished
Order of finish: 4,2,1
Dual 3: #3 ARIZONA def. #6 ARIZONA STATE, 3-0
- Alana Rennie/Alex Parkhurst (ARIZ) def. Katelyn Carballo/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) 20-22, 21-13, 15-11
- Sarah Blacker/Brooke Burling (ARIZ) def. Kate Fitzgerald/Emily Anderson (ASU) 28-30, 21-15, 15-7
- Natalie Anselmo/Carly Lowry (ARIZ) vs. Cierra Flood/Sarah Waters (ASU) 11-9, unfinished
- Dana Parker/Mady Noble (ARIZ) def. Lila Bordis/Samantha Plaster (ASU) 21-9, 22-20
- Olivia Hallaran/Hope Shannon (ARIZ) vs. Lauren Weintraub/Taryn Ames (ASU) 21-16, 8-10, unfinished
Order of finish: 4,2,1
Dual 4: #4 STANFORD def. #5 CALIFORNIA, 3-2
- Xolani Hodel/Sunny Villapando (STAN) def. Mima Mirkovic/Caroline Schafer (CAL) 21-18, 21-13
- Jordan Polo/Ainsley Radell (CAL) def. Charlie Ekstrom/Maya Harvey (STAN) 21-18, 21-15
- Alexia Inman/Ava Mann (CAL) def. Maddi Kriz/Kate Reilly (STAN) 21-18, 17-21, 15-13
- Amelia Smith/Emmy Sharp (STAN) def. Maddie Micheletti/Maya Gessner (CAL) 25-27, 29-27, 15-12
- Jordan McKinney/Maddie Dailey (STAN) def. Brooke Buchner/Grace Paulson (CAL) 21-12, 21-13
Order of finish: 2,4,1,3,5
Dual 5: #1 USC def. #8 Oregon 3-0
- Tina Graudina/Megan Kraft (USC) def. Carly Wallace/Madelyn LaFollette (ORE) 21-9, 21-10
- Julia Scoles/Sammy Slater (USC) def. Josie Cole/Anastasia Lima (ORE) 21-9, 21-9
- Hailey Harward/Haley Hallgren (USC) vs. Vivian Donovan/Zoe Almanza (ORE) 21-17, 14-7, unfinished
- Joy Dennis/Delaynie Maple (USC) def. Bea Wetton/Ashley Schroeder (ORE) 21-12, 21-10
- Audrey Nourse/Nicole Nourse (USC) vs. Savannah Siegrist/Delaney Hopin (ORE) 21-13, 20-8, unfinished
Order of finish: 4,2,1
Dual 6: #7 Washington def. #9 Utah 3-0
- Shayne McPherson/Chloe Loreen (UW) def. Marissa Koch/Grace Andrews (UTAH) 21-9, 21-8
- Natalie Robinson/Avie Niece (UW) def. Sage Patchell/Olivia Teerlink (UTAH) 21-18, 21-9
- Scarlett Dahl/Kyra Peterson (UW) vs. Camille Lee/Keana Smalls (UTAH) 21-15, 1-1, unfinished
- Ashley Shook/Hannah Yerex (UW) def. Mia Kowalczyk/Joana S. Mondragon (UTAH) 21-6, 21-18
- Callie Weber/Cassidy Schilling (UW) vs. Macy Rideout/Hannah Stahle (UTAH) 21-5, 13-8, unfinished
Order of finish: 2,4,1