Oregon State Wins Fifth-Straight Title at 2016 Pac-12 Wrestling Championships
TEMPE, Ariz. - In a close team battle, OREGON STATE claimed its fifth-consecutive Pac-12 title Saturday night at the 2016 Pac-12 Wrestling Championships. The Beavers finished with 118.0 points and their lone champion, Amarveer Dhesi, was also named the Outstanding Wrestler of the Meet. Attendance in the first session was announced by Arizona State as 1,110 while 1,709 spectators were in attendance for the second session.
ARIZONA STATE was runner-up for the second-straight year with 113.0 points, while CSU BAKERSFIELD took third place with 101.0 points. STANFORD came in fourth place with an even 100.0. BOISE STATE weighed in at fifth with 92.0 points, followed by CAL POLY at sixth with 73.5.
• No. 15 Connor Schram of Stanford had the first win of the night over Oregon State's No. 7 Ronnie Bresser, winning 2-2 in double overtime on criteria. * • Schram is the third Cardinal to win the 125 pound Conference title in the last five years and the fifth all-time.
• Rami Haddidin (Boise State) took third place while David Gonzales (Cal Poly) finished in fifth place.
• Dalton Brady of Arizona State defeated Oregon State's Joey Palmer 4-2 with a takedown in overtime.
• Brady is the first Sun Devil to win the Conference title at 133 pounds since Mike Simpson in 2003.
• Carson Kuhn (Boise State) finished in third place and Mason Pengilly (Stanford) took fifth place.
• No. 2 Joey McKenna of Stanford defeated CSU Bakersfield's Ian Nickell, the 2016 Pac-12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year, 6-1, becoming the fifth Cardinal freshman to win a Pac-12 title.
• McKenna is the first Cardinal in program history to win the Conference crown at 141 pounds.
• Robbie Mathers (Arizona State) earned a third-place finish while Jack Hathaway (Oregon State) finished in fifth place.
• Boise State's No. 15 Geordan Martinez defeated No. 13 Matt Kraus of Arizona State 3-1 to win title at 149 pounds.
• Martinez, the reigning Pac-12 Freshman/Newcomer of the Year, claimed his second-career Pac-12 title in as many years, moving up a weight from his title at 141 pounds in 2015.
• Joey Delgado (Oregon State) was the third-place finisher while Jacob Leon (Cal Poly) took fifth place.
• Boise State's Chris Castillo claimed the title over Arizona State's Oliver Pierce, winning 3-2 in the sixth overtime.
• Pierce had the biggest upset of the day, defeating No. 1-seeded Abraham Rodriguez of Oregon State 6-5 in the 157 pound semifinal.
• Castillo is the fourth Bronco in the last seven years to win the Conference crown at 157 pounds.
• Rodgriguez earned a third-place finish while Colt Shorts (Cal Poly) finished in fifth place.
•Stanford's No. 19 Jim Wilson won 2-1 in overtime over Adam Fierro of CSU Bakersfield.
•The junior claimed his third-straight Conference title at 165 pounds, becoming the first three-time champion in Cardinal program history.
•Seth Thomas (Oregon State) finished in third place while Jacen Peterson (Arizona State) took fifth place.
• No. 5 Bryce Hammond of CSU Bakersfield pinned (2:02) Austin Dewey of Boise State.
• Hammond claimed his third Conference title at 174 pounds in the last four years.
• Keaton Subjeck (Stanford) earned a third-place finish and Preston McCalmon (Arizona State) finished in fifth place.
• No. 6 Blake Stauffer of Arizona State defeated Corey Griego of Oregon State, 7-2.
• Stauffer won his second-straight title in the event and is the first Sun Devil in any weight class to win back-to-back titles since Anthony Robles (125 pounds; 2009, 2010, 2011).
• Garet Krohn (Stanford) took third place while Mitch Woods (Cal Poly) ended up in fifth place.
• Arizona State's Josh DaSilveira won 6-5 over No. 8 Reuben Franklin of CSU Bakersfield.
• DaSilveira is the first Sun Devil to win a Conference title at 197 pounds since Ryan Bader in 2006.
• Cody Crawford (Oregon State) finished in third place while Zach Nevills (Stanford) finished in fifth place.
•No. 10 Amarveer Dhesi of Oregon State was the lone individual champion for the Beavers, winning 19-5 over No. 12 Nathan Butler of Stanford.
•Dhesi successfully defeated the 2015 Conference champion in Butler to become the fourth Beaver in heavyweight champion in the last six years.
• Tanner Hall (Arizona State) finished in third place and Spencer Empey (Cal Poly) ended up in fifth place.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive