Beavers To Battle Vols Friday In Big Dance Opening Round
THE GAME: Oregon State (17-12, 10-10 Pac-12) will face Tennessee (18-8, 10-7 SEC) in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament at 1:30 p.m. PT (4:30 p.m. ET) on Friday at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Ind.
TELEVISION: The game will be televised on TNT with Spero Dedes and Brendan Haywood calling the action and Lauren Shehadi reporting from the sideline.
RADIO: The game will air live on Beaver Sports Radio Network with Mike Parker calling the action. It can also be heard online at this link.
LIVE STATS: There will be live stats at this link.
QUICKLY: Oregon State won the Pac-12 Tournament for the first time in history to earn an automatic bid in the NCAA Tournament ... The Beavers beat Top 25 teams on back-to-back nights at the Pac-12 Tournament (No. 25 Oregon and No. 23 Colorado); the previous time Oregon State defeated a ranked team at a neutral site was Dec. 29, 1992 (93-79 over No. 23 BYU in Portland, Ore.) ... Ethan Thompson was selected to the All-Pac-12 First Team ... Thompson holds the Oregon State record with 123 career starts; Gary Payton is second with 120 ... Zach Reichle leads the team with an assist/turnover ratio of 2.18 ... Warith Alatishe became the first-ever Beaver to be named the Pac-12 Tournament Most Outstanding Player ... Alatishe leads the Pac-12 with 13 double-figure rebounding games ... Jarod Lucas is 12th in the nation in free throw percentage at 89.7% (96-for-107) ... Maurice Calloo scored 15 points in the Pac-12 Tournament championship game; he scored 10 points in the previous eight games combined.
NCAA Tournament Notes: Oregon State is the No. 12 seed and opens the NCAA Tournament against No. 5-seed Tennessee at 1:30 p.m. PT on Friday:
- The Beavers are making their 18th appearance in the NCAA Tournament; it's their first since 2016 and just the second time since 1990.
- Oregon State is 12-20 all-time in NCAA Tournament games.
- The Beavers played in two Final Fours (1949 and 1963).
- Oregon State's last win in the NCAA Tournament came on March 18, 1982 against Idaho, 60-42, in the West Regional Semifinals in Provo, Utah.
- The Beavers have lost seven straight NCAA Tournament games, with four of those coming as the higher seed.
- Some Oregon State individual records in the NCAA Tournament include: 31 points by Gary Payton vs. Evansville (3/15/89); 21 rebounds by Mel Counts vs. Seattle (3/11/63); 10 assists by Gary Payton vs. Evansville (3/15/89); 7 steals by Charlie Neal vs. Middle Tennessee State (3/15/75); three 3-point field goals by Derrick Bruce vs. VCU (3/18/16) and Charles McKinney vs. Ball State (3/15/90); 45 minutes by Gary Payton vs. Evansville (3/15/89).
- Oregon State went 5-5 against teams in the NCAA Tournament (all Pac-12 opponents) with wins over Colorado, Oregon (twice), UCLA and USC. The losses came against Colorado (twice), Oregon, UCLA and USC.
- Oregon State is 3-1 all-time against Tennessee:
- Dec. 30, 1964: Oregon State 48, Tennessee 27 (Portland, Ore.)
- Dec. 23, 1970: Tennessee 89, Oregon State 61 (at Knoxville, Tenn.)
- Dec. 10, 1989: Oregon State 96, Tennessee 90 (OT) (at Knoxville, Tenn.)
- Dec. 22, 1990: Oregon State 82, Tennessee 66 (at Corvallis, Ore.)
- The No. 12 seed is 50-90 all-time against the No. 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
- The Oregon State-Tennessee winner will play the winner of No. 4-seed Oklahoma State and No. 13-seed Liberty.
Click on the PDF for the full game notes.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).