This Week in Pac-12 Men's Soccer
• Two top-25 matchups highlight the week when No. 25 SAN DIEGO STATE visits No. 16 STANFORD on Thursday, Oct. 13 and No. 17 UCLA meets the Cardinal on Sunday Oct. 15 for #SundayGoals on the Pac-12 Network. All five league games this week will be televised on Pac-12 Network with No. 16 UCLA at CALIFORNIA on Thursday Oct. 13, No. 22 WASHINGTON at OREGON STATE on Friday, Oct. 14 and No. 25 San Diego State at California on Sunday Oct. 15.
• The Pac-12 has four teams ranked in the NSCAA top-25 this week, the most since week one when UCLA, Stanford, California and SDSU appeared in the standings. This week Stanford sits at No. 16, followed by UCLA at No. 17, Washington at No. 22, and San Diego State is at No. 25.
• Stanford’s Andrew Epstein was named the Conference’s Player of the Week. The redshirt junior goalkeeper posted his fourth and fifth solo shutouts of the season and the 17th and 18th of his career. He led the Cardinal to two 1-0 victories over No. 16 Washington and Oregon State as the Cardinal improved to 3-0 in Conference play for the first time in program history. Epstein is now tied for third in career shutouts in program history and tied for ninth among active NCAA players. It was Epstein’s second career-nod and Stanford’s 24th all-time.
• No. 16 Stanford is 3-0 in Pac-12 play and has defeated each opponent by a 1-0 margin, posting its first three-shutout streak in Conference play since 2007. The Cardinal’s victory over then-No. 16 Washington was its first in Seattle since 2006. Sunday's win over Oregon State gave Stanford a road sweep of Washington and Oregon State for the first time in a decade.
• No. 17 UCLA saw a 1-0 victory over then No. 13 San Diego State. UCLA now claims three victories against top-20 opponents this season including No. 1 Akron and No. 13 UCSB. Sophomore midfielder Jackson Yueill remains in the top-10 nationally in assists per game (0.60) and total assists (6).
• No. 25 San Diego State is the national leader in save percentage (.898) as the Aztecs have only allowed five goals this season. Redshirt junior goalkeeper Adam Allmaras is ranked second nationally in goals against average (.426).
• California continues to lead the Conference in assists per game (2.20), points per game (6.00), and scoring offense (1.90). Senior forward/midfielder Christian Thierjung remains in the top-25 nationally in goals per game (.89), points per game (1.89), total goals (8), and total points (17).
• The National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) honored Oregon State and Stanford with the College Team Academic Award for the 2015-16 academic year. 315 men’s teams posted a team grade point average of 3.0 or higher to earn the recognition. The Beavers recorded a 3.14 GPA and the Cardinal posted a 3.39 GPA, tied for 35th among NCAA men’s soccer programs across all divisions.
• 2015 Pac-12 Freshman of the Year Jose Hernandez of UCLA is among the 14 players with All-Conference honors returning to Pac-12 rosters this season. That list includes first-team members, UCLA's Seyi Adekoya and Abu Danladi, Nick Lima and Christian Thierjung of California, and Timmy Mueller of Oregon State competing this season.
• Twenty-eight players from NCAA Division I schools around the country have been marked as potential contenders for the 2016 Missouri Athletic Club’s (MAC) Hermann Trophy. The MAC Hermann Trophy is the most prestigious individual award in college soccer, presented annually to one male and one female athlete. Stanford’s Jordan Morris took home the honor last season. This year, the Pac-12 has two representatives on the list: UCLA’s Jose Hernandez and Abu Danladi.
• The countdown of Pac12 Networks’ 850 live event telecasts began on the pitch with a 36-game men’s soccer schedule. Each Pac-12 team appears on the Network at least 10 times (home or away) in 2016.
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (all times local to site)
|Thursday, Oct. 13|
|No. 16 UCLA at California||PAC12/P12BA/P12LA||4 p.m. PT|
|No. 25 San Diego State at No. 16 Stanford||P12BA||7 p.m. PT|
|Friday, Oct. 14|
|No. 22 Washington at Oregon State||PAC12/P12ORE/P12WA||4 p.m. PT|
|Sunday, Oct. 15|
|No. 25 San Diego State at California||P12BA||2 p.m. PT|
|No. 17 UCLA at No. 16 Stanford||PAC12/P12BA/P12LA||5 p.m. PT|
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive