MBB Rolls To 93-47 Win Over Grambling State
BOULDER, Colo. (AP) -Richard Roby scored 18 of his 25 points in the second half and Colorado's defense forced 25 turnovers in routing winless Grambling State, 93-47 on Saturday.
Cory Higgins added a season-best 15 points and Marcus Hall 12 for Colorado (7-5). The 46-point win was the most lopsided win of the season for the Buffaloes.
Anthony Williams led Grambling State (0-7) with 18 points. Williams didn't get his first field goal until nearly two minutes into the second half.
"We played rock-solid defense in terms of forcing guys into taking shots they are not usually accustomed to," said CU head coach Jeff Bzdelik. "We forced them into having guys other than their leading scorers taking shots, and that's what we want."
The Tigers never led in the game, and have been outscored by nearly 19 points a game this season.
Dwight Thorne scored eight points in the final three minutes of the first half as Colorado built a 38-21 lead. The Buffaloes forced 14 turnovers, limited Grambling State to 35 percent shooting and never trailed in the first 20 minutes.
Emmanuel Calloway provided six points of an 11-3 run that got Grambling State as close as 17-13 with 7:53 remaining. Colorado's defense clamped down the rest of the half.
Colorado opened the second half with a 24-7 run, 11 points coming from Roby, to extend its lead to 62-28 with 13:51 left. During the stretch, the Tigers had five turnovers and Williams provided all seven of their points.
Grambling State scored only four points over the last 9:32 after Calloway's 3-pointer made it 72-43.
Colorado will host SMU Friday, Jan. 4 at 8 p.m. at Coors Events Center.
- Marcus Hall notched two assists, passing Gordon Torp and moving up to seventh place on Colorado's career assists list with 336.
- The Buffs placed a season-first, five players in double figures
- CU tied a season-best 11 steals and grabbed a season-best 44 rebounds
- Javon Coney (two points) and Andrew Zehnder (five points) scored their first collegiate points.
- Richard Roby scored 20 points or more for the fourth time this season and the 34th time in his career (25 points); Roby has led CU in scoring six games this season, third straight
- Cory Higgins led CU in assists for the second straight game
- CU is 5-0 this season when shooting over 50 percent from the field (today 52.1)