USC and UCLA to face off in Pac-12 Men's Tennis Championship final
OJAI, Calif. - The Pac-12 Men’s Tennis Championship final will be between the top two seeds as No. 1 USC and No. 2 UCLA blanked their respective opponents to advance to the championship match. The Trojans and Bruins will face off on Saturday in the final.
USC picked up the doubles point against California and never relinquished the lead, picking up three singles victories to California’s lone singles win to clinch the match, 4-1. The lower courts clinched the doubles point for USC, as Roberto Quiroz and Nick Crystal defeated Cal’s Andre Goransson and Ben McLachlan on court two and Max DeVroome teamed up with Eric Johnson for a Trojan win over Cal’s Filip Bergevi and Mads Engsted on court three. In singles play, Trojans Yannick Hanfmann and Quiroz opened singles play with straight-set wins over their respective opponents. Johnson who clinched the match for the Trojans with a win over Cal’s Gregory Bayane on court five in three sets.
UCLA was dominant from the get-go as well, clinching the doubles point with wins on courts three and one. Joey Digiulio and Clay Thompson kicked off the afternoon for the Bruins with a victory over Daniel Sardu and Jayson Amos of Oregon on court three, followed by Marcus Giron and Mackenzie McDonald grabbing the win on court one over UO’s Robin Cambier and Kevin Farin for the doubles point. Giron, Gage Brymer and Karue Sell then swept their singles opponents in straight sets to seal the quarterfinal victory for UCLA.
The Championship title match between USC and UCLA will take place tomorrow, Saturday, at Libbey Park in Ojai, Calif., at 4 p.m. PT. Live scores will be available on pac-12.com.
No. 1 USC def. No. 3 California, 4-0
1. Ray Sarmiento/Yannick Hanfmann (USC) vs. Gregory Bayane/Chase Melton (CAL) 7-6 unfinished
2. Roberto Quiroz/Nick Crystal (USC) def. Andre Goransson/Ben McLachlan (CAL) 8-7
3. Max DeVroome/Eric Johnson (USC) def. Filip Bergevi/Mads Engsted (CAL) 8-2
Order of finish: 3,2
1. Yannick Hanfmann (USC) def. Ben McLachlan (CAL) 6-2, 7-5
2. Ray Sarmiento (USC) vs. Campbell Johnson (CAL) 6-4, 6-6 unfinished
3. Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. Filip Bergevi (CAL) 6-2, 6-2
4. Andre Goransson (CAL) def. Max DeVroome (USC) 7-6(5), 6-2
5. Eric Johnson (USC) def. Gregory Bayane (CAL) 1-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Michael Grant (USC) vs. Nikhil Jayashankar (CAL) 6-4, 5-1 unfinished
Order of finish: 3,1,5
No. 2 UCLA def. No. 7 Oregon, 4-0
1. Marcos Giron/Mackenzie McDonald (UCLA) def. Robin Cambier/Kevin Farin (ORE) 8-6
2. Karue Sell/Adrien Puget (UCLA) def. Daan Maasland/Joey Swaysland (ORE) 7-6 unfinished
3. Joey DiGiulio/Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Daniel Sardu/Jayson Amos (ORE) 8-5
Order of finish: 3,1
1. Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. Robin Cambier (ORE) 6-3, 6-4
2. Clay Thompson (UCLA) vs. Kevin Farin (ORE) 6-4, 6-6 unfinished
3. Mackenzie McDonald (UCLA) vs. Daan Maasland (ORE) 7-5, 5-4 unfinished
4. Gage Brymer (UCLA) def. Daniel Sardu (ORE) 6-2, 6-2
5. Karue Sell (UCLA) def. Joey Swaysland (ORE) 6-1, 6-1
6. Jayson Amos (ORE) vs. Joey DiGiulio (UCLA) 6-3, 6-7(4) unfinished
Order of finish: 5,4,1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive