Day One in the Books at Indiana
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Day one of the Indiana Winter Mock Dual is in the books for the Oregon women’s team as the Ducks went 4-4 in singles play and 0-3 in doubles. With the format changed up last minute, the Ducks faced off against Marquette in singles and took on the host, Indiana, in doubles.
How It Happened: On the singles front, Nia Rose and Alyssa Tobita continued to see success with both coming away with wins. Rose needed a third set to dispatch Ali Dawson 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 while Tobita defeated Vanessa Foltinger in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. Allie Hueffner continued to have success at the IU tournament as she did last year, downing Paula Tormos 6-4, 6-7 (6), 6-3.
In the top two spots, Nicole Long and Marlou Kluiving were dispatched by the Golden Eagles’ Ana Pimienta and Erin Gebes. Kadie Hueffner fought valiantly and took Aleeza Kanner to three sets, but fell short. Lina Åkesson took a split on the day, first falling to Diana Tokar 6-2, 6-2 before bouncing back with a 7-6 (6) victory over Carli Knezevich of Abilene Christian.
The duo of Rose and Tobita saw their doubles record move to 10-2 after they lost to Indiana’s Kim Schmider and Alecia Kauss 8-5. Kluiving and Long went neck-and-neck with IU’s Stephanie Smith and Shannon Murdy, but couldn’t hang on and lost 8-7 (4). Playing in the No. 3 slot and for the first time together this season, the Hueffner sisters were dispatched by the Hoosiers’ pair of Mary Beth King and Sarah Baron 8-2.
What It Means: The Ducks will look to bounce back from Saturday’s struggles on the doubles side and hope to come away with some more wins on the singles side before opening the dual season.
Quotable: "We started out sloppy and we were a bit slow on making the proper adjustments today," head women's tennis coach Alison Silverio said. "Our emotions got the better of us in a few of our matches. Part of competing is being able to control your emotions in every situation. We will have an opportunity to improve on this tomorrow."
Up Next: Day two of the IU Winter Mock Dual is set to resume tomorrow morning at around 6:30 a.m. (PT).
1. Ana Pimienta (MU) def. Nicole Long (ORE) 6-1, 6-2
2. Erin Gebes (MU) def. Marlou Kluiving (ORE) 7-6 (2), 6-3
3. Nia Rose (ORE) def. Ali Dawson (MU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Alyssa Tobita (ORE) def. Vanessa Foltinger (MU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Diana Tokar (MU) def. Lina Åkesson (ORE) 6-2, 6-2
6. Allie Hueffner (ORE) def. Paula Tormos (MU) 6-4, 6-7 (6), 6-3
7. Aleeza Kanner (MU) def. Kadie Hueffner (ORE) 6-7 (4), 6-3, 7-5
vs. Abilene Christian
Lina Åkesson (ORE) def. Carli Knezevich (ACU) 7-6 (6)
1. Schmider/Kauss (IU) def. Rose/Tobita (ORE) 8-5
2. Smith/Murdy (IU) def. Kluiving/Long (ORE) 8-7 (4)
3. Gutierrez/Klyczek (IU) def. K. Hueffner/A. Hueffner (ORE) 8-2