Home Opener for the Gym Devils Set For Saturday
TEMPE, Ariz. – Sun Devil Gymnastics will return to Desert Financial Arena for the first time this year as they host the BYU Cougars in the 2021 home opener on Saturday at 4 p.m. MST.
Sun Devil Outlook
No. 11 Arizona State (0-1)
- In the season opener at No. 2 Oklahoma, the Gym Devils scored a 194.725 to drop the dual meet.
- Four freshmen made their collegiate debuts in this meet: Sarah Clark, Jada Mangahas, Anaya Smith and Emily White. Only two upperclassmen competed on Sunday: senior Cairo Leonard-Baker and junior Megan Thompson.
- Leonard-Baker had a solid start to her final season, scoring a 9.825 on bars and vault and a 9.800 on floor.
- Sophomore Juliette Boyer's consistency continues to shine as led the Gym Devils in the all-around at Oklahoma with a 39.125.
- The Sun Devils and Cougars last competed against each other in 2019, beating them in both meets. ASU holds a 10-1 all-time record against BYU.
No. 10 BYU (2-1)
- The Cougars are coming off of a second-place finish at the Best of Utah meet in Salt Lake City last weekend. They defeated Utah State and Southern Utah and fell to No. 3 Utah.
- The team is led by Abbey Miner-Alder, who earned three weekly awards from the Mountain Rim Gymnastics Conference. She was named the gymnast of the week as well as the vault and floor specialist of the week.
- After the first week, BYU's floor squad shone, ranking No. 5 on Road to Nationals. The team scored a 49.275, including a 9.900 from Miner-Alder.