No. 19 Cal Tops USF 7-0
BERKELEY – The No. 19 California women's tennis team did not drop a set en route to throttling San Francisco, 7-0, in a nonconference dual match on a sunny Friday afternoon at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
Erin Richardson posted a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Arianna Capogrosso at court-six singles to clinch the win, as the Golden Bears improved to 3-1 on the season. USF opens its season 0-1.
Cal's 40th-ranked pair of Haley Giavara and Valentina Ivanov clinched the doubles point with a 6-3 win over the USF duo of Rita Colyer and Mya Bui, the older sister of Cal freshman Jada Bui, on court one. The Bears also got wins from senior Anna Bright and freshman Hannah Viller Moeller – who bested Chiho Mushika and Maria Martinez Vaquero 6-2 – on court two and Richardson and Julie Rosenqvist, who defeated Capogrosso and Caragh Courtney, 6-2, on court three.
"We did a good job of starting out quicker," Cal head coach Amanda Augustus said. "We put some new doubles teams on the courts today, and I was pleased with what I saw. It was definitely good to get the doubles point today."
In singles, Rosenqvist, ranked 43rd, beat Martinez Vaquero, 6-1, 6-2, on court two and the 18th-ranked Giavara dispatched Mya Bui, 6-2, 6-2, on court one to give Cal a 3-0 lead over the Dons. Richardson soon followed with her win on court six to secure the victory.
The 26th-ranked Ivanov knocked off Colyer, 6-2, 6-4, on court three, Viller Moeller defeated Mushika, 6-1, 7-5, on four and Bright topped Courtney, 6-3, 6-3, to close out the Dons.
"USF has a bunch of players we haven't seen, since we typically see them in the fall and didn't get to play this fall," Augustus said. "But we adjusted and played aggressively on all six courts in singles. Everybody focused pretty well, which was good since we didn't have a ton of practice this week after playing on Monday. We're glad to have four matches under our belt."
No. 19 California (3-1) defeated San Francisco (0-1), 7-0
Jan. 29, 2021, in Berkeley, Calif.
Hellman Tennis Complex
1. No. 40 Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (Cal) def. Mya Bui/Rita Colyer (USF), 6-3*
2. Anna Bright/Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal) def. Chiho Mushika/Maria Martinez Vaquero (USF), 6-2
3. Erin Richardson/Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) def. Caragh Courtney/Arianna Capogrosso (USF), 6-2
Order of Finish – 3, 1*2,
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 18 Haley Giavara (Cal) def. Mya Bui (USF), 6-2, 6-2
2. No. 43 Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) def. Maria Martinez Vaquero (USF), 6-1, 6-2
3. No. 26 Valentina Ivanov (Cal) def. Rita Colyer (USF), 6-2, 6-4
4. Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal) def. Chiho Mushika (USF), 6-1, 7-5
5. Anna Bright (Cal) def. Caragh Courtney (USF), 6-3, 6-3
6. Erin Richardson (Cal) def. Arianna Capogrosso (USF), 6-2, 6-2^
Order of Finish – 2, 1, 6^, 3, 4, 5
^Clinched the overall match