Men’s Tennis Sweeps Grand Canyon 7-0
TEMPE - The Sun Devils (2-1) battled through a relentless effor t from Grand Canyon (0-7) to pull off a full 7-0 sweep Wednesday evening at the Whiteman Tennis Center. ASU secured the doubles point with tandems Max McKennon/Nathan Ponwith and George Stoupe/Moritz Hoffmann winning their sets 6-3 and 7-5, respectively. Sophomore Christian Lerby capped off the sweep with a three-set victory over GCU's Boris-Moller.
Sun Devils take home the W! Christian Lerby rallies through three sets to secure the victory. FINAL SCORE: Sun Devils 7, Lopes 0. pic.twitter.com/S1PBtJyi2I
— Sun Devil M. Tennis (@SunDevilMTennis) February 4, 2021
McKennon/Ponwith gave ASU a strong start in doubles play, defeating Justin Cvitanovic/Mariano Argote of Grand Canyon 6-3 on court one. Stoupe/Moritz secured the victory for the Sun Devils on court three, sneaking past Van Zeggelaar/De Samucewicz 7-5. Bolla/Brachman's match on court two was then abandoned.
The Lopes did not let their doubles loss hinder their singles play, keeping almost all sets close and going toe-to-toe throughout the match. McKennon put on a show on court four, earning ASU it's first singles point in two quick sets and finishing 6-2, 6-1 over Jonathan Da Silva.
Ponwith wasn't far behind, sweeping Cvitanovic 6-0 in the first set before hammering in a 6-3 win in the second set. ASU then clinched the match with Lerby's three-set rally on court three, defeating Boris-Moller 6-3, 2-6, 7-6. The Sun Devils fought on to win their final three matches, including an exciting nailbiter ending with a clutch tiebreaker by Bolla at No. 2.
ASU continues a four-game home stretch when they host No. 22 Pepperdine on Friday Feb. 5 at 2:00 p.m. MST. Public attendance is still prohibited at this time, but fans can follow the match via the ASU/Pac-12 live stream.
Feb 3, 2021 at Tempe, AZ
(Whiteman Tennis Center)
Arizona State 7, Grand Canyon 0
1. Nathan Ponwith (ASU) def. Cvitanovic, Justin (GCU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Andrea Bolla (ASU) def. Argote, Mariano (GCU) 6-2, 7-6
3. Christian Lerby (ASU) def. Boris-Moller, Wolmar (GCU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
4. Max McKennon (ASU) def. Da Silva, Jonathan (GCU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Moritz Hoffmann (ASU) def. Grant, Freddie (GCU) 7-5, 6-7, 10-4
6. Jonah Wilson (ASU) def. Van Zeggelaar, Loic (GCU) 6-3, 6-7, 6-2
1. Max McKennon/Nathan Ponwith (ASU) def. Argote, Mariano/Cvitanovic, Justin (GCU) 6-3
2. Andrea Bolla/Spencer Brachman (ASU) vs. Boris-Moller, Wolmar/Da Silva, Jonathan (GCU) unfinished
3. George Stoupe/Moritz Hoffmann (ASU) def. Van Zeggelaar, Loic/De Samucewicz, Stan (GCU) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,1,3,2,6,5)