Top-20 Matchup On Deck For Gym Devils This Saturday
TEMPE, Ariz. – The second of two-straight meets in Tempe, No. 16 Sun Devil Gymnastics will host No. 3 Utah this Saturday at 1 p.m. MST at Desert Financial Arena.
Sun Devil Outlook
No. 16 Arizona State (2-2)
- Over the weekend, ASU led Oregon State from start to finish to beat the Beavers for the first time since 2006. The Sun Devils scored above a 49.000 on bars, beam and floor to score above a 196.000 for the second time this season.
- The Gym Devils are currently ranked No. 16 in the nation, including three top-20 event rankings. They are No. 20 on vault, No. 17 on beam, and No. 8 on bars. The Sun Devils have been ranked in the top 10 on bars all season. They have yet to score below a 49.000 on that event in 2021.
- Hannah Scharf continues her impressive sophomore campaign. Against Oregon State over the weekend, she won her third all-around title in a row with a 39.375. She scored a 9.800 or better in all four events, including a 9.875 on bars that matched her career best. She is currently ranked No. 14 in the nation in the all-around.
- Freshman Anaya Smith and Sarah Clark continue to add strong scores into the lineup. Against Oregon State, Clark won the bars title with a 9.900, a new career high for her and ASU's best score in the event this season. She also added a 9.825 on the beam. Smith earned a new career best and tied ASU'S best vault score this season with a 9.875.
- Senior Cairo Leonard-Baker has been a rock for the team. On bars, she has yet to score below a 9.825 this season. She has also chipped in solid scores on vault and floor.
No. 3 Utah (5-1)
- Last week, Utah posted the nation's second-highest score of the season with a 197.475 against Washington.
- The Utes are led by sophomore Maile O'Keefe who scored the first 10.0 on beam in the NCAA this season. She ranks No. 2 in the nation on beam and No. 5 in the all-around.
- On the Road to Nationals rankings, the Utes are ranked in the top 10 on all four events. The beam squad is ranked the highest at No. 2 in the nation. Utah has scored the highest individual scores in the Pac-12 on bars, beam, floor, and in the all-around.
- The Gym Devils are looking for their first win over Utah since 2003. In the last six matchups, Utah has surpassed a 197.000 team score.
How to Watch
Arizona State will host No. 3 Utah this Saturday at 1 p.m. MST and will be available to watch on the Pac-12 Networks. Live scoring will also be available as well as updates on Twitter (@SunDevilGym) and Instagram (@sundevilgymnastics).