No. 1 USC Men Score Another Sweep At Marks Stadium
In doubles action, USC had young guns Colter Smith and Lodewijk Weststrate team up to great success once again as the tandem took the first win of day with a 6-1 victory on court six. At the No. 2 spot, Stefan Dostanic and Bradley Frye followed suit and scored the doubles point for the Trojans with a 6-4 win there.
San Diego State had to adjust its singles lineup with a player out, so Colter Smith got the default win on court six and only five matches were fully played out. On court two, #104 Stefan Dotanic made it 3-0 Trojans with his 6-3, 6-0 sprint to victory over Aaro Pollanen to tee up #26 Mor Bulis for the clincher. Bulis topped Ignacio Martinez 6-2, 6-2 to pin the 4-0 advantage on the board for USC, and the match played on. Next to close out his Aztec foe was Jake Sands on a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Judson Blair on court five. Lodewijk Weststrate punched up a 6-0 lead for USC with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Roni Rikkonen at the No. 4 spot, and #19 Riley Smith came through as the cleanup crew in rounding out action with his 6-2, 6-4 win over Johannes Seeman on court one.
Next up for USC is a trip to Urbana, Ill., where the Trojans will first face Kentucky in a 10 a.m. PT clash on Wednesday (Feb. 10) to get ready for competition at the ITA National Team Indoor Championship, which runs Feb. 12-14. The Trojans are looking to defend the 2020 title they won at the event last season.
#1 USC 7, San Diego State 0
Feb. 7, 2021 | Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
(1) Bulis/R. Smith (USC) vs. Pollanen/Seeman (SDSU) - 5-5 susp.
(2) Dostanic/Frye (USC) def. Martinez/Gonzalez Almazan (SDSU) - 6-4
(3) C. Smith/Weststrate(USC) def. Blair/Rikkonen (SDSU) - 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 2
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #19 Riley Smith (USC) def. Johannes Seeman (SDSU) - 6-2, 6-4
(2) #104 Stefan Dostanic (USC) def. Aaro Pollanen (SDSU) - 6-3, 6-0
(3) Mor Bulis (USC) def. Ignacio Martinez (SDSU) - 6-2, 6-2*
(4) Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) def. Roni Rikkonen (SDSU) - 6-2, 6-3
(5) Jake Sands (USC) def. Judson Blair (SDSU) - 6-1, 6-3
(6) Colter Smith (USC) — win by default
Order of finish: 6, 2, 3*, 5, 4, 1