Home Sweet Home: UW Wraps Up Home Schedule
SEATTLE - Washington (5-11, 2-11 Pac-12) is home for the final time in an abbreviated 2020-21 season, playing host to Utah on Friday (7:00 p.m.) and Colorado on Sunday (2:00 p.m.) at Alaska Airlines Arena.
The Huskies snapped an eight-game skid last Friday at Arizona State and are looking for their first home win in Conference action. Utah (5-13, 2-7) rides into Seattle with a three-game losing streak and 2-8 over its last 10 games.
Friday's game will be available for fans to watch on the GoHuskies.com video streaming platform or they can listen locally on the UW/IMG College Network on KKNW 1150 AM, on the TuneIn App, or GoHuskies.com with Gary Hill behind the mic.
• Quay Miller is coming off another outstanding weekend in which she averaged 11.5 ppg and 8.5 rpg. She also averaged 3.0 steals.
• Alexis Griggsby ranks fifth in the Pac-12 conference shooting .412 percent (21x51) from 3-point territory. Her average would rank 10th all-time in UW single-season history if the season were to end today. She needs to stay above .407 to remain/move up the top-10 list.
• Haley Van Dyke is tied for the Pac-12 lead with 47 offensive rebounds and ranks 12th in the Conference with 6.2 rebounds per game. She also is fourth with 36 steals, while teammate Tameiya Sadler is 8th in the Pac-12 with 1.8 steals per game.
• Van Dyke leads the team with 31.8 minutes per game and has played in 30-plus minutes in seven-straight games. Overall she has 12 games with 30-plus minutes this season. The rest of the team has combined for 15 games with over 30 minutes, led by Quay Miller with six.
• Darcy Rees moved into the Huskies' top-10 career list for blocked shots, surpassing Laura McLellan (69) for 10th all-time in UW history with 73. Up next, Regina Rogers (88).
• Sunday will be senior day with the Huskies honoring players Khayla Rooks and Alexis Griggsby, plus manager Maddie Chandler.
• Interesting Fact: No Husky has fouled out of a game this season.
Scouting the Utes
Since beating the Huskies back on Jan. 3 in Salt Lake City, the Utes are 2-8, including dropping three-straight games. Last time out, the Utes led USC at halftime, 33-29, but were held to 16 points in the second half and lost 66-49. The average height of the Utes roster is 6-1 with 10 of 14 players standing 6-0 or taller. Brynna Maxwell out of Gig Harbor, Wash. leads the Utes in scoring (12.8 ppg), has hit 35 of 104 three-point attempts and leads the Pac-12 in FT pct. (.957, 66-69). Kemery Martin (11.1 ppg) is the only other double-figure scorer for the Utes. Kelsey Rees is the younger sister of Darcy Rees and has played in all 18 games for the Utes. Head coach Lynne Roberts is a 1997 graduate of Seattle Pacific and is in her sixth season at Utah. She has a 91-84 overall record, including 8-4 against the Huskies as head coach at Utah and 1-0 as coach at Pacific from 2007-15.
All-Time Series vs Utah
The all-time series between the two teams is in Utah's favor, 16-14, after the Utes have won each of the last three games. Last time the teams met on Jan. 3, the Huskies could not overcome a hot-shooting second-half from Utah and dropped their third-straight game. Brynna Maxwell scored all her team-high 24 points in the second half as the Utes poured in 53 second-half points to break up a three-point halftime lead. Last time in Seattle, the Utes picked up a 74-65 win in on Feb. 7, 2020. The Utes have won seven of the last eight games in the series with the lone Washington win coming in the first round of the 2019 Pac-12 Tournament. The teams have met four times in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament since Utah joined the conference in 2012. The Huskies are 8-4 all-time in Seattle with their last win coming Feb. 25, 2017, 84-77.
A motived Arizona Wildcats (14-2, 12-2 Pac-12) team celebrated Senior Day by raining down 12 three-pointers on the way to a 75-53 win at the McKale Center on Sunday. The 10th-ranked Wildcats are chasing their first NCAA bid since 2005 and wanted to send their trio of seniors – Trinity Baptiste, Aari McDonald and Sam Thomas – out on a high note. The trio combined for 47 points, led by McDonald and Thomas' 20-point efforts. Thomas was 6 of 8 from 3-point distance on the way to tallying a season-high scoring total, while McDonald had eight assists and three steals to go along with her 20 points. The Wildcats shot 75 percent (12 of 16) from distance and 55 percent overall. Besides hitting from distance consistently, they got out and ran the floor well, racing to a 19-1 fast-break scoring advantage. Quay Miller fell just short of a double-double with 13 points and nine rebounds, while Haley Van Dyke continued her great run with 12 points, four rebounds, three assists and two steals.
The Huskies will celebrate senior day on Feb. 21 against Colorado at 2:00 p.m. They will honor Alexis Griggsby and Khayla Rooks, plus manager Maddie Chandler.