Baseball Set For 2021 Opener Friday
GAME 1: Oregon State (0-0) vs. Kansas State (0-0)
Feb. 19, 2021 • 11:00 a.m. PT • Surprise, Ariz. • Surprise Stadium
RHP Kevin Abel (0-0, 0.00) vs. LHP Jordan Wicks (0-0, 0.00)
Oregon State opens its 2021 season when the Beavers take on Kansas State Friday at Surprise Stadium. First pitch is slated for 11 a.m. PT (12 p.m. in Arizona).
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), Rip City Radio 620-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the TuneIn application, which is available for smartphones and tablets (search Beaver Sports Network).
The game will not be broadcast.
Flo Live will stream each of the Beavers' four games in Surprise. Visit Flo.TV to sign up and watch the games.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Oregon State finished the 2020 season with a 5-9 record; the season was cut short in March due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Kyler McMahan ended the season as the Pac-12's batting leader after collecting 25 hits and a .439 batting average in 14 games.
• Oregon State is 81-30 all-time in season openers.
• The Beavers are looking to stretch their winning streak to 12 games on opening day. • Six of the previous 11 opening-day victories have come in one-run games.
• The Beavers won last season's opener, 11-4, after scoring nine runs in the first inning against New Mexico. OSU scored seven runs before New Mexico was able to record an out.
• Friday's game marks the seventh consecutive year Oregon State opens its season in Surprise, Ariz.
• The Beavers are 37-7 (.841) in Surprise over the past six seasons.
• OSU was 2-2 there last season.
• Oregon State takes on Kansas State for the 13th time in program history Friday, and for the first time since 2016.
• OSU is 8-4 all-time against Kansas State.
• The Beavers own a five-game win streak over the Wildcats dating back to the 2013 NCAA Super Regional in Corvallis.
• OSU won that super regional, 2-1, including a 4-3 victory in game three that sent the Beavers to their fifth College World Series.
How Many Days?
• Friday will mark 348 days since Oregon State last played a collegiate baseball game. The 2020 season was cut short due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
• OSU's last game was March 8 at home against UC Santa Barbara.
• Friday's game marks the start of the second season as the Pat Casey Head Baseball Coach for Mitch Canham, who was hired to lead the program in June 2019.
• Canham added Darwin Barney as an assistant coach this past offseason. Barney lettered for the Beavers from 2005-07.
• Kyler McMahan enters Friday's game on a seven-game hit streak. He is 14-for-26 (.538) during the streak. He also has four walks and two stolen bases during it.