Gameday: Baseball At Grand Canyon (2/26/21)
GAME 6: Oregon State (4-1) vs. Grand Canyon (3-2)
Feb. 26, 2021 • 5:00 p.m. PT • Phoenix, Ariz. • Brazell Field at GCU Ballpark
LHP Cooper Hjerpe (1-0, 0.00) vs. RHP Pierson Ohl (1-0, 4.76)
Oregon State and Grand Canyon continue their series Friday night at Brazell Field at GCU Ballpark. First pitch is slated for 5 p.m. PT (6 p.m. in Arizona).
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), Rip City Radio 620-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the TuneIn application, which is available for smartphones and tablets (search Beaver Sports Network).
The game will not be broadcast.
Grand Canyon will host a live stream via YouTube for each of the four games. The direct link can be found by visiting osubeavers.com.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Kevin Abel struck out 11 to tie a career-high as Oregon State opened its series at Grand Canyon with a 4-0 win Thursday night. Joe Casey hit his third home run of the season and OSU scored three in the eighth on RBI from Kyler McMahan (two) and Jacob Melton (one).
• Oregon State's four starting pitchers - Kevin Abel, Cooper Hjerpe, Jake Pfennigs and Will Frisch - have been sharp early on this season.
• The four have combined to throw 24 1/3 innings this season, holding opponents to 19 hits, seven earned runs (2.59 ERA) and five walks with 34 strikeouts.
And The Bullpen
• The bullpen has been dominant thus far as well, holding opponents to 10 hits and two earned runs in 20 2/3 innings.
• That's an ERA of 0.87.
• The 'pen has issued eight walks to 19 strikeouts.
• OSU's four relievers walked two and struck out seven in four innings Thursday night.
• Oregon State pitchers have thrown in 45 innings this season.
• The Beavers have held opponents to just 10 runs overall, and nine earned runs, posting a 1.80 ERA. That leads the Pac-12.
• OSU's staff has held opponents scoreless in 40 of those 45 innings.
Casey Goes For Number Three
• Joe Casey's three home runs this season have already equaled his career total coming into the 2021 campaign. He reached those three prior to 2021 in 72 games.
• Casey is tied for the Pac-12 lead in both home runs and RBI (nine).
• OSU leads the Pac-12 in home runs with seven and RBI with 44. The Beavers are also first in runs scored (45), doubles (11) and total hits (64).
• The shutout marked OSU's first since defeating Washington State, 2-0, on April 28, 2019.
• It also marked Rich Dorman's 11th shutout as a pitching coach at the collegiate level. His Grand Canyon teams recorded 10 from 2017-19.
• Friday's starter, Cooper Hjerpe, is coming off 5 1/3 scoreless innings in his first career start against New Mexico on Feb. 20. He struck out nine.
• OSU is 3-0 all-time vs. GCU in Phoenix.
• Kyler McMahan extended his hit streak to 12 games with a single Thursday night.