Brady Posts 41 Saves in Tie vs. #7 Michigan
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Led by freshman netminder Cole Brady, Sun Devil Hockey fended off the No. 7 Wolverines and finished with a 1-1 tie at Yost Ice Arena Saturday night, ending a six-game, all-time losing streak against Michigan.
Brady recorded 41 saves on 42 shots faced against the loaded Michigan offense, which features three first round 2020 NHL draft picks and three likely 2021 first-round draft picks. It was his third-highest save total in a game so far this season.
"I wish they would let us play the shootout, especially with the way Cole's playing, we would go against anybody in a shootout with the way he's playing right now," said head coach Greg Powers. "He was tremendous tonight. Our guys really played hard -- they played hard, defended hard, skated hard and that's a really good tie."
- "When you know you have someone like Brady back there, just in case a mistake happens, you know he's got your back and it just gives you a sense of confidence throughout the entire penalty kill."- Dominic Garcia on Cole Brady during the PK.
- "2 wins, that's all we want and that's what we're going for" -Johnny Walker on the last series at Ohio State.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Late in the 2nd period, senior forward Dominic Garcia crashed in front as a shot from defenseman Jacob Wilson ricocheted off PJ Marrocco then off Garcia's stick and into the net. It was the Sun Devils' first-ever lead vs. Michigan this season.
- Twenty-three seconds later, Michigan senior Jack Becker got a loose puck in the slot and buried it to tie the game at one with just 41 seconds left in the 2nd period.
- Senior forward Dominic Garcia has two goals in his last four games and continues to find the puck in the dirty areas. He now has as many goals in his last four games as he did in his last two seasons combined. Garcia also scored in the exhibition game against U.S. NTDP on Feb. 5 (W, 2-1).
- Freshman goaltender Cole Brady made 41 saves in the overtime tie. It's his third-highest save total this season after making 42 saves against Notre Dame on Dec. 4 and 44 vs. Michigan back on Nov. 15.
- The ASU penalty kill denied all three Michigan opportunities in the game for the second-straight night. They've killed eight-straight now over the last three games.
- The Sun Devils are now 0-2-3 when going into overtime this season.