Cats Finish Off Homestand with a Win
TUCSON, Ariz. - No. 20 Arizona came out on top over the University of New Mexico by a score of 4-2.
The Wildcats got off to a slow start during doubles, suffering their first doubles loss for the whole season. Momentum swung back to the Cats during singles with No. 50 Jonas Ziverts dominating court one and Carlos Hassey and Nick Lagaev cleaning out their opponents on the back courts. The captain Alejandro Reguant clinched the match in straight sets to complete the home stand.
Assistant Coach Bryce Warren said after the match, "Anytime you can come out of a weekend 3-0, you feel pretty good. Was it our best? No, but we are definitely improving." The Wildcats will go on the road next week to face UCSB on Friday, Mar. 5.
1. Dobai/Trondson def. Karpovets/Middleton 6-4
2. West/Molina def. Hassey/Reguant 6-3
3. Malbasic/Lagaev vs. Maggs/Holis 4-5 unf.
Order of finish: 2, 1
1. No. 50 Jonas Ziverts def. Raul Dobai 6-1, 6-2
2. No. 105 Gustaf Strom vs. Dominic West 3-6, 6-3 unf.
3. Alejandro Reguant def. Stepan Holis 7-6(2), 6-2
4. Rafael Abdulsalam def. No. 54 Filip Malbasic 6-2, 6-3
5. Carlos Hassey def. Alex Maggs 6-2, 6-0
6. Nick Lagaev def. Jake Trondson 6-2, 6-2