Bears Walk It Off Again
BERKELEY – California won in walk-off fashion for the third time in 10 games as Nathan Martorella's sacrifice fly plated Dylan Beavers in the 11th inning, giving the Golden Bears a 2-1 victory over Saint Mary's Friday afternoon at Evans Diamond.
After eight consecutive innings of scoreless baseball from both teams, Cal (6-4) broke through in the 11th for its fifth win in six games dating back to last week's series. Beavers led off the home half of the 11th with a single and went from first to third on another from Steven Zobac two at bats later. The rest was left to Martorella, who flied out to deep left field to bring Beavers home without challenge for the game-winning run.
The Bears earned a superb appearance on the mound from Sam Stoutenborough, who tossed seven scoreless frames after entering the game in the third in relief of spot starter Ian Villers. Stoutenborough retired the first eight batters he faced and allowed only one Gael past second base. He scattered three hits and a walk while striking out four batters.
Cal was first on the board when Martorella drew a bases-loaded walk in the opening frame. Saint Mary's (5-5) quickly responded with the equalizer, tallying three hits off of Villers in the top of the second.
Aaron Roberts and Zobac both tossed a scoreless inning with two strikeouts on the mound in extras. Zobac (1-0) took over on the mound in the 11th after playing the previous 10 innings in right field and earned his first win of the season.
- Stoutenborough went seven innings for the fifth time in his career. It is the first time he has done so in a relief appearance.
- After tallying just two RBI through Cal's first eight games this season, Martorella has plated nine runs in Cal's two games against Saint Mary's this weekend.
- Beavers (2-for-4) and Darren Baker (2-for-5) continued their recent hot streaks at the plate with multi-hit efforts Friday. The duo leads Cal with .361 and .350 batting averages, respectively.
- Ethan Cloyd earned his first start of the season at designated hitter.
- Villers made his fourth start of the season on the mound.
The four-game series between Cal and Saint Mary's shifts to the Gaels' Louis Guisto Field in Moraga on Saturday and Sunday. Game three will start at 2 p.m. PT Saturday.
For complete coverage of Cal baseball, please follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalBaseball), Instagram (@CalBaseball) and Facebook (/CalBaseball/).