Ducks Drop Conference Opener
TEMPE, Ariz. – Oregon battled and nearly pulled out the doubles point before dropping the first three decisions of singles play in a 4-0 loss at No. 24 Arizona State Friday in the Pac-12 opener for both teams. The loss snapped the Ducks' six-match winning streak and dropped them to 6-2 (0-1 Pac-12) on the season.
How it Happened: For the first time all year, the Ducks were unable to get on the board first with a win in pairs play, dropping a tightly contested doubles point. Lillian Mould and Janice Tjen remained unbeaten on the season as a duo, winning 6-4 at No. 2 after fighting back from being down 3-0.
Rifanty Kahfiani and Uxia Martinez Moral jumped out to a 3-0 lead at No. 1 doubles, but the ASU pair of Lauryn John-Baptiste and Ilze Hattingh responded with three straight set victories to tie it up at three. From there, the two sides went back-and-forth until the Sun Devils tied it up at six, then took the tiebreaker for a 7-6 win to clinch the doubles point.
The Ducks fell in straight sets at Nos. 4-6 in singles play to give Arizona State the match. Martinez Moral lost in singles for the first time this year, falling 6-2, 6-1 at No. 4 while Julia Eshet also lost 6-2, 6-1 and Allison Mulville dropped her match, 6-1, 6-1. Oregon also trailed in the remaining three matches with Kahfiani's being the most tightly contested at 6-4, 2-2 when the match was clinched.
No. 24 Arizona State 4, Oregon 0
1. John-Baptiste,Lauryn/Hattingh,Ilze (ASU) def. Kahfiani, Rifanty/Martinez Moral, Uxia (ORE) 7-6
2. Mould, Lillian/Tjen, Janice (ORE) def. Turkovic,Domenika/Morlet,Giulia (ASU) 6-4
3. Hampton,Sammi/Argyrokastriti,M (ASU) def. Eshet, Julia/Mulville, Allison (ORE) 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Hattingh,Ilze (ASU) vs. Tjen, Janice (ORE) 6-1, 5-2, unfinished
2. John-Baptiste,Lauryn (ASU) vs. Mould, Lillian (ORE) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
3. Morlet,Giulia (ASU) vs. Kahfiani, Rifanty (ORE) 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
4. Argyrokastriti,M (ASU) def. Martinez Moral, Uxia (ORE) 6-2, 6-1
5. Turkovic,Domenika (ASU) def. Mulville, Allison (ORE) 6-1, 6-1
6. Jankowski,Cali (ASU) def. Eshet, Julia (ORE) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 4
Up Next: Oregon takes on Arizona on Sunday at 10 a.m.