No. 4 UCLA Sweeps No. 8 California, 5-0
LOS ANGELES -- No. 4 UCLA (4-1) posted a 5-0 sweep without dropping a set over No. 8 California (2-1) on Saturday afternoon at Mapes Beach. With the win, the Bruins improved to 8-0 all-time against the Golden Bears.
The first wave saw UCLA's Megan Muret and Jacqueline Quade take down the Golden Bears' Kate Nierly and Maya Gessner in straight sets, 21-15, 21-17 on court four. The Bruins went up 2-0 after Devon Newberry and Lindsey Sparks won 21-17, 22-20 over Ainsley Radell and Jordan Polo on court two. The wave also included a 21-12, 21-16 win on the exhibition court (six) by the Bruin duo of Hannah Phair and Cami Sanchez over Cal's Cassidy Drury-Pullen and Katie Smoot.
The second wave began with the Bruins' needing one win to clinch the dual, and it came very quickly and easily as Abby Van Winkle made her season debut and paired with her new partner, Lea Monkhouse on court three, defeating California's Brooke Buchner and Alexia Inman, 21-6, 21-7. On court five, UCLA's Rileigh Powers and Jaden Whitmarsh took down Cal's Maddie Micheletti and Ava Mann in two sets, 21-18, 21-11. The court one's Savvy Simo and Lexy Denaburg defeated Mima Mirkovic and Caroline Schafer, 21-17, 21-16, to complete the sweep.
The Bruins return to action on Thursday, March 11, when they host No. 9 Pepperdine in a double-header with the first dual starting at 10:00 a.m. followed by the second dual at 1:30 p.m. PT at Mapes Beach. It will mark the Bruins' fifth-straight dual against a top 10 team.
No. 4 UCLA def. No. 8 California, 5-0
Mapes Beach • Los Angeles, Calif.
Saturday, March 6, 2021
RECORDS: UCLA (4-1), California (2-1)
1. Lexy Denaburg/Savvy Simo (UCLA) def. Mima Mirkovic/Caroline Schafer (CAL); 21-17, 21-16
2. Devon Newberry/Lindsey Sparks (UCLA) def. Ainsley Radell/Jordan Polo (CAL); 21-17, 22-20
3. Lea Monkhouse/Abby Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Brooke Buchner/Alexia Inman (CAL); 21-6, 21-7
4. Megan Muret/Jacqueline Quade (UCLA) def. Kate Nierly/Maya Gessner (CAL); 21-15, 21-17
5. Rileigh Powers/Jaden Whitmarsh (UCLA) def. Maddie Micheletti/Ava Mann (CAL); 21-18, 21-11
Exh. Hannah Phair/Cami Sanchez (UCLA) def. Cassidy Drury-Pullen/Katie Smoot (CAL); 21-12, 21-16
Order of finish: 4, 2, 3*, 5, 1