Carballo, Sweeney Clinch 3-2 Win for Sand Devils
TUCSON, Ariz. – Four of the five pairs went to three sets as No. 20 Sun Devil Beach Volleyball came out on top in the battle with Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, 3-2, to wrap up the Cactus Classic on Sunday afternoon.
The Sand Devils (3-2) went 2-1 in the tournament this weekend, finishing up with the win over the Islanders (5-4). In today's dual, four of the five courts went to five sets. The Sun Devils won three of the first sets, but the other two had to battle back to force a third.
The No. 1 ASU duo of Katelyn Carballo and Lexi Sweeney went undefeated this weekend, improving their season record to 4-1. The freshmen Taryn Ames and Kate Fitzgerald also did not lose this weekend in their two matches. They were the only pair today to win in straight sets.
Results (Order of Finish: 4, 1, 3*, 2, 5)
- Katelyn Carballo/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) def. Giuliana Corrales/Brooke Pertuit (CC) 21-12, 19-21, 15-6
- Mary Dodge/Micaela Mirabel (CC) def. Emily Anderson/Aleksandra Sochacka (ASU) 21-15, 11-21, 15-12
- Cierra Flood/Sarah Waters (ASU) def. Brooke Adkisson/Kylie Kvam (CC) 21-11, 17-21, 15-10
- Taryn Ames/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) def. Taylor Horsfall/Emily Ramirez (CC) 22-20, 21-12
- Aurora Carnes/Demi McInnis (CC) def. Samantha Plaster/Lauren Weintraub (ASU) 21-19, 17-21, 15-13
The next scheduled game for Arizona State is on March 25 against Stanford. It is set to be a neutral site game on Grand Canyon's courts.