Huskies to Face Utah in Pac-12 Tournament First Round
UW (5-20, 4-16 P12) vs. Utah (11-12, 8-11 P12)
Washington opens the Pac-12 Tournament on Wednesday, March 10 as the No. 10 seed facing off against No. 7 seed Utah at 4 p.m. PT. The tournament is taking place at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nev. The game will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks with Ted Robinson, Bill Walton and Matt Muehlebach on the call. Additionally, fans can tune into KJR 950 AM to hear Tony Castricone and Jason Hamilton on the official Husky Radio Broadcast. Washington and Utah are 1-1 on the season with the Utes taking the first meeting 62-76 in Salt Lake City (Dec. 3) and Washington winning the rematch 83-79, on Jan. 24 in Seattle. The two teams have only met once in the league tournament with Utah winning in the 2014 First Round.
The Coach (68-59 at UW/4th Year)
Head Coach Mike Hopkins is in his fourth year at Washington, and fourth as a head coach after becoming the 19th head coach in UW history. During his 22 years as an assistant at Syracuse, Hopkins was a part of teams that reached the NCAA Tournament 16 times including the 2003 National Championship, four Final Fours, five Elite Eights and 10 Sweet 16s along with four NIT berths. Syracuse never dipped below a 55.0 percent record while Hopkins was on staff. Hopkins is a two-time Pac-12 Coach of the Year, winning the honor in each of his first two seasons with the Huskies as he led UW to back-to-back 20 win seasons with postseason appearances each year. (2018 NIT, 2019 NCAA Second Round).
• Senior Hameir Wright's team-high 18 points against Arizona was also a new career high in scoring
• With his 17 points against Arizona, senior Quade Green continued to climb past 500+ career points in just 39 games played ... he now sits at 529
• The Huskies had five players reach double-digit scoring at Arizona, making it the first game with five Huskies scoring at least 10 since Feb. 1, 2020
• Washington has had 10 different players score at least 10 points in a game this season
• Green has 162 career assists at UW in just 39 games ... averaging 4.2 a game while being a Husky
• Junior Jamal Bey is on a stretch of four-straight double-digit scoring games ... all 12 of his double-digit games this season have come since Jan. 7 at Stanford
• UW has had four players score at least 26 points in a game this season in Tsohonis (29), Bey (28), Stevenson (27) and Green (26)
• Bey currently leads the league in 3-point FG percentage at 50.7 percent
• All 11 of junior transfer Erik Stevenson's double-digit scoring nights this season have come in the last 16 games ... Prior to the California game, Stevenson had only made four from long distance, he has since made 30
• Wright currently has 134 career blocks which is sixth all-time at UW ... he is now three behind fifth place (137, Malik Dime) and 52 behind the UW record of 186 (Matisse Thybulle and Christian Welp)