Quarterfinals Clash With Colorado
LAS VEGAS – No. 11 California will face third-seeded Colorado in the 2021 Pac-12 Men's Basketball Tournament quarterfinals at 8:30 p.m. PT Thursday, March 11. The game will be televised on ESPN from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas with Dave Pasch and Bill Walton on the call.
The Golden Bears (9-19) led wire-to-wire in a 76-58 win over rival and sixth-seeded Stanford in Wednesday night's first-round clash. Cal became just the second No. 11 seed to win a game at the tournament, joining Washington State, which did the same a year prior at the 2020 tournament. Colorado (20-7) earned a first-round bye as the No. 3 seed. The Buffaloes enter the tournament ranked No. 23 nationally (AP).
HOW TO FOLLOW
- Watch: ESPN | Dave Pasch (PxP), Bill Walton (Analyst)
- Listen: KGO 810 AM /TuneIn | Rich Cellini (PxP) & Todd McKim (Analyst)
- Live Stats: CalBears.com
- Cal has won at least one game at the Pac-12 Tournament in five of the past seven seasons.
- The Bears most recently advanced past the quarterfinals in 2017.
- Cal is 18-22 all-time at the Pac-12 Tournament, including two trips to the championship game in 2006 and 2010.
- Cal is 2-0 at the Pac-12 Tournament under head coach Mark Fox.
- An 11th-seeded team has never played in the Pac-12 Tournament quarterfinals. Washington State, the No. 11 seed at the 2020 tournament, was scheduled to face No. 3 Arizona State in the quarterfinals before the remainder of the tournament was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Bears and Buffs split two regular-season meetings as both squads won at home. Cal earned one of the most impressive wins of the Pac-12 season on Feb. 13, defeating Colorado 71-62 in Berkeley. Matt Bradley scored a career-high 29 points in the win. Freshman Jalen Celestine chipped in 13 points in the contest as well.
- Cal is 0-3 all-time against Colorado at the Pac-12 Tournament.
- Bradley was named to the All-Pac-12 Second Team for the second consecutive year on Tuesday. He's averaged 18.4 points per game this season and is second among Pac-12 players with 11 20-point performances, despite missing seven games due to injury.
- In three career Pac-12 Tournament games, Bradley has averaged 18 points per game. He scored 19 in Cal's win against Stanford in the first round Wednesday.
- Andre Kelly finished the regular season ranked second among Pac-12 players in overall field goal percentage (58.3) and conference-only field goal percentage (60.8). He's scored in double figures in each of the past five games.
- Cal has out-rebounded or tied its opponents in six of the past seven games, including a 31-22 advantage against Stanford Wednesday.
- The Bears did not have a single Pac-12 game postponed or canceled due to COVID-19 during the regular season.
- Grant Anticevich and Makale Foreman announced their decisions to return to Cal as fifth-year seniors in the 2021-22 season on Feb. 24.