Ducks Blank Colorado
EUGENE, Ore. – Oregon was in control from start to finish in a 7-0 win over No. 47 Colorado in the Ducks' Pac-12 home opener Friday afternoon at the UO Outdoor Tennis Courts. The Ducks moved to 8-2 on the year and 2-1 in conference play with their seventh straight home win to start the season.
How it Happened: As has been the case most of the season, the Ducks got on the board first by cruising to a doubles victory. Rifanty Kahfiani and Uxia Martinez Moral picked up the first win of the day with a 6-2 win at No. 1 doubles, before Allison Mulville and Julia Eshet pulled away late in their match for a 6-4 win to make it 1-0, Ducks.
Janice Tjen kept Oregon rolling with a quick 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 1 singles to put up the second point of the day, while Eshet made it 3-0 with a 6-3, 6-1 win at the No. 6 spot. Allison Mulville won a battle of a first set in her match before dominating the second frame in a 7-5, 6-0 victory at No. 5 singles to clinch the match.
With the match in hand, the Ducks continued their dominance with Kahfiani making it 5-0 with a 6-1, 6-4 victory on court No. 3. Lillian Mould put away her match at the No. 2 spot in a second-set tiebreaker, winning 6-1, 7-6(5), shortly before Martinez Moral completed the shutout with a third-set tiebreak win at No. 4 singles, 4-6, 6-4, 1-0(5).
Quotable: Head Coach Courtney Nagle
"Today was a beautiful day for tennis – it's always fun to be outside. I'm really proud of our team and the way they showed up and competed today. We needed everyone and they were all locked in from start to finish. Looking forward to another battle on Sunday."
Oregon 7, No. 47 Colorado 0
1. Rifanty Kahfiani/Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) def. Sara Nayar/Fleur Eggink (COLO), 6-2
2. Lillian Mould/Janice Tjen (ORE) vs. Megan Forster/Antonia Balzert (COLO), 5-4 (uf)
3. Julia Eshet/Allison Mulville (ORE) def. Maria Campos/Ky Ecton (COLO), 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2
1. Janice Tjen (ORE) def. Sara Nayar (COLO), 6-2, 6-0
2. Lillian Mould (ORE) def. Antonia Balzer (COLO), 6-1, 7-6(5)
3. Rifanty Kahfiani (ORE) def. Megan Forster (COLO), 6-1, 6-4
4. Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) def. Maria Campos (COLO), 4-6, 6-4, 1-0(5)
5. Allison Mulville (ORE) def. Fleur Eggink (COLO), 7-5, 6-0
6. Julia Eshet (ORE) def. Ky Ecton (COLO), 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 5*, 3, 2, 4
Notable: The win was Oregon's first shutout of a Pac-12 opponent since beating Utah 4-0 in the 2018 Pac-12 Tournament … It's also the Ducks' first 7-0 win against a conference opponent since April 7, 2012 … Tjen moved to 9-0 on the year in singles play and has still not lost in either singles or doubles play this year … Kahfiani won her eighth straight decision in singles play and improved to 8-1 on the year … The Ducks have now won the doubles point in nine of the 10 matches and have only lost four doubles matches all season.
Up Next: Oregon hosts Utah on Sunday at 11 a.m. in the Student Tennis Center.