SJSU in Town After Bye Week for No. 4 Water Polo
TEMPE, ARIZ.-- The Arizona State water polo team will be hosting San Jose State University Spartans for MPSF conference play at Mona Plummer for two games in Tempe over the weekend. After splitting the series with Stanford two weekends ago, the Sun Devils had a bye week this past weekend and will continue their 17 game home stretch this weekend.
ASU moved up in the Collegiate Water Polo Association week six varsity polls from the fifth spot up to the fourth spot despite not playing last week. Standout freshman Luca Petovary has scored a goal in every game this season for the Sun Devils, with her streak sitting at 12 games. Bente Rogge is also on a streak for ASU, and has scored a goal in the last 11 games after recording no goals in the season-opener.
That #4 feeling ???? pic.twitter.com/bTYyU1X2E8
— Sun Devil Water Polo (@SunDevilWP) March 17, 2021
San Jose State has played nearly half as many games as the Sun Devils, and will be coming to Tempe off of a 17-6 road loss to Stanford. Both games will be conference play for ASU, where they currently sit at 1-1 in MPSF play after the exciting upset over No. 3 Stanford in Tempe.
How to watch: Both games will be available to watch via the Arizona State Live Stream, or fans able to follow along via The FOSH live stats. The games will take place at 1:00 PM MST on both Saturday and Sunday.
Live stream for game one: https://pac-12.com/live/arizona-state-university
Live stream for game two: https://pac-12.com/live/arizona-state-university-2
About the Spartans:
- SJSU checked in at #17 in this week's CWPA varsity polls.
- The Spartans have played four games this season, and are 1-3 to date.
- SJSU ended the 2020 season with a 5-12 record and tied for 20th in the final CWPA polls.
- This will be the Spartan's fifth road game of the season.
About the Sun Devils:
- The Sun Devils are 1-1 in MPSF play after splitting with Stanford.
- Luca Petovary is second in the MPSF for goals with 27.
- In goal, Chelsea Karimazondo is third in the MPSF with 42 saves, and leads the saves-per-game category with 7.0.
- Blaire McDowell is fourth in the MPSF for steals with 18.
- The Sun Devils are 21-10 against SJSU in program history, and are 9-1 in the last 10 matchups.
- ASU is currently outscoring opponents 113-64 in the first three periods of play.