Utah Women's Basketball Wraps Up 2020-21 Season
It was a season full of adversity for the University of Utah Women's Basketball program, but through a shortened season with one non-conference game and 21 games played against teams in the toughest league in the country, the Utes showed that the future of the program is bright.
Out of Utah's 12 players that saw action this season, seven were underclassmen (freshmen/sophomores). Utah's scoring duo of Brynna Maxwell and Kemery Martín led the Utes in scoring with 12.8 and 11.1 points per game, respectively, while Utah's second-leading rebounder (4.4) and top shot blocker (1.1) was a true freshman in Peyton McFarland.
Utah finished the season playing the second-most conference games of any team in the Pac-12 (19), trailing just Stanford (21) while tying Washington State. Through that gauntlet, Utah played against nine top-15 teams, including seven in the top-five.
Sophomores Brynna Maxwell and Kemery Martín earned Pac-12 All-Conference honorable mention.
• The duo combined to score 501 of Utah's 1,264 points (40%) with Maxwell averaging a team-high 12.8 points and Martín putting up 11.1.
• They reached double-digits in 13 games each, both reaching the 20-point mark at least twice this season.
• Maxwell earned her second-straight All-Pac-12 honorable mention nod after receiving the recognition as a freshman last season.
— Utah Women's Basketball (@UTAHWBB) March 2, 2021
BEATING THE BEST
The Pac-12 has been the nation's top-rated conference by RPI in four of the last six seasons with the Utes facing a Top 25 opponent almost every week. Under the direction of Lynne Roberts, the Utes have knocked off a Top 25 opponent each year, all coming during conference play.
• Utah played against nine top-15 opponents this season.
• Utah beat No. 15 Oregon State on Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2020, the first win over a Top 25 opponent on the road since they took down No. 19 ASU in Tempe on Jan. 19, 2018.
• Utah's win over Oregon State this season was the 27th win over a Top 25 opponent in program history and its highest ranked win since Stanford (#6) in 2019.
• The win against the Beavers marked the first time since Feb. 10, 2013 that the Utes have beat the Beavers (66-40), and the first time since Dec. 18, 2000 that Utah has won in Corvallis.
• Utah's Top 25 wins in the Roberts era includes No. 15 Oregon State in 2020, No. 21 Arizona State in 2020, No. 6 Stanford in 2019, No. 22 Arizona State in 2018, No. 24 California in 2017 and No. 21 California in 2016.
Utah's underclassmen that saw action in 2020-21 scored a combined 853 of Utah's 1,264 points (67%).
• Utah's sophomore class scored 599 of the Utes' 1,264 points this season (47%). Brynna Maxwell started all 21 games with Kemery Martín starting the last 17.
• The sophomore trio have scored over 25 combined points in 34 games together, including in 11 this season.
• The sophomores scored 30+ points as a unit in nine of the last 12 games, accounting for 53-percent of Utah's scoring in that span.
• Utah brought in the No. 20-ranked recruiting class by ESPN, its highest in school history, in freshmen McQueen (four-star, Top 100 recruit), McFarland (four-star, Top 100 recruit), Ntambue (Top 15 recruit in Canada) and Rees (Australian National Team member).
• A trio of freshmen (Rees, McFarland, McQueen) accounted for 31 of Utah's 55 points (56%) against Washington State (2/21) with McFarland and Rees posting career-highs in points (McFarland – 14, Rees – 10).
— KSL Sports (@kslsports) January 25, 2021
FROM THE THREE
• Utah has hit eight or more threes in 62 games under the direction of Lynne Roberts, going 45-17 in those games. Utah has 10 games this season with 8+ made from the three, including five with 10+ (10 at Oregon State, 12/8; 12 vs. Montana State, 12/11; 10 vs. Washington, 1/3; 10 at California, 2/5; 10 at Washington, 2/19).
• Utah ranked sixth in the Pac-12 in threes made per game (6.8), knocking down 142 total.
SELECT PLAYER HIGHLIGHTS
3 :: Andrea Torres :: 6-2 :: Forward :: Junior
• Torres has played in 82 games as a Ute, starting 47. She started all 21 games this season and has started in 41 in a row.
• Torres averaged 28.1 minutes, 5.1 points and a team-high 5.1 rebounds per game.
• Torres's defense has continued an upward trend since joining the Utes, recording only 16 steals as a freshman to tying for the team-lead with 31 this season.
• She has either led or tied for the lead in rebounds in 14 career games, including seven this season.
• She led the Utes in defensive rebounds with 78 of her 108 total rebounds coming on the defensive side of the court.
• She has 26 career games with two-or-more threes made, including seven this season. Fifty-one percent of her made baskets this year came from the three.
• She tied her career-high of nine rebounds in back-to-back games this season (9 vs. Washington State, 1/1; 9 vs. Washington, 1/3).
• She scored a season-high 14 points against Washington State (1/1), shooting 6-for-7 from the floor (85.7%). It tied for her career-high shooting % in a game when making three-or-more field goals (6-of-7 against ASU, 2/23/20).
Q2 | 2:16 | Utah 31, Cal 24
— Utah Women's Basketball (@UTAHWBB) February 6, 2021
10 :: Dru Gylten :: 5-11 :: Guard :: Junior
• Gylten has started in every game she has appeared in (75), but missed the final six games of the season due to an injury. Prior to the 2020-21 season, Gylten had only missed one game her entire career (1 in 2019-20).
• Gylten has played in 2,201 of the possible 3,000 minutes (73%) of her career.
• She started 15 games this season, averaging 29.6 minutes, 8.1 points, 5.2 assists and 3.4 rebounds per game.
• She has either led or tied for the lead in assists in 55 career games (all 15 in 2020-21) and has had five-or-more assists in 47 career games (6 in 2020-21).
• Broke the 400-career assist mark with her three against California (2/5). She has 401 through 75 career games, ranking 10th all-time at Utah in career assists, just two away from moving into ninth (Monica Starrett, 402, 1979-82).
• Gylten led the Pac-12 in assists (78) and assists per game (5.2) also ranking 23rd and 29th in those categories nationally through her 15 games.
• She had six double-digit scoring games this season and has 21 in her career.
• Gylten has six double-digit assist games in her career, including one this season (13 vs. Montana State, 12/11).
• Gylten recorded a career-high 13 assists in Utah's game against Montana State (12/11), passing her previous career-best of 12. Her 13 assists against Montana State was the most by a Pac-12 women's basketball player and tied for fourth in Division I women's basketball at the time of her injury.
• Her 13 assists against Montana State was two shy of tying the Utah record for single-game assists (15, Holly Rawlings vs. BYU, 1981; Monica Star-rett vs. Boise State, 1981). It was the most by a Ute in a game since Leilani Mitchell had 13 against UNLV (3/8/08).
— Utah Women's Basketball (@UTAHWBB) January 26, 2021
11 :: Brynna Maxwell :: 6-0 :: Guard :: Sophomore
• Maxwell has started in every game since becoming a Ute (52), the longest active streak of starts on the team.
• She started all 21 games this season, averaging a team-high 32.3 minutes and 12.8 points per game, also recording 3.0 rebounds and 1.5 steals per game.
• Maxwell ranked in the top-11 in the Pac-12 in free throw percentage (1st, .924), three-pointers made per game (7th, 2.05) and scoring (11th, 12.8).
• She also ranked third nationally in free throw percentage (.924).
• Maxwell has only been held to zero three-pointers made seven times in her 52 games.
• Maxwell has scored double-digits in 34 of her 52 career games, including 13 times this season.
• Maxwell had 20 steals in 31 games in 2019-20 as a freshman, and had 31 through just 21 games as a sophomore.
• She has nine 20-point games in her career (4 in 2020-21), which includes her career-high 34 points against Oregon State (12/8) this season. She has hit a combined 38 three-pointers in her 20-point outings.
• Maxwell has scored 675 points through 52 games, breaking the 600-career point mark against California (2/5).
• Fifty-nine percent of Maxwell's career made field goals have come from beyond the arc (126-of-213).
• She has hit two-or-more threes in 40 career games, including in 15 this season.
• Maxwell knocked down a career-high 11 free throws twice this season (11-12 vs. Washington, 1/3; 11-11 vs. Oregon State, 1/31). Eleven made free throws ties for the most by a Pac-12 player this season and her 11-for-11 outing against the Beavs ties for the highest single-game free throw percentage in the Pac-12 when making eight or more.
• Maxwell earned College Sports Madness National Player of the Week and Pac-12 Player of the Week for her performances against Oregon State (12/8) and Montana State (12/11).
• Maxwell scored a career-high 34 points against Oregon State (12/8), tying her career-high in field goals made (10).
• Her 34 points against Oregon State was the most by a Pac-12 player this season.
• Maxwell's 34 points against the Beavers was the most a Ute has scored since Feb. 1, 2019 when former Ute Megan Huff put up 38 points against Oregon. It ranks seventh in program history in single-game points.
• She scored all 24 of her points in the second half in Utah's win over Washington (1/3), shooting 5-of-10 from the floor, 3-of-6 from the free throw line and 11-of-12 from the charity stripe.
Sophomore @brynnamaxwell scored 27 points on 6-13 shooting on Sunday and went a perfect 11-11 from the free throw line. ??
— Utah Women's Basketball (@UTAHWBB) February 2, 2021
15 :: Kemery Martín :: 6-0 :: Guard :: Sophomore
• Has played in 52 career games with 26 starts.
• She played in all 21 games this season, starting the last 17. She averaged 27.1 minutes, 11.1 points and 2.5 rebounds per game.
• She has 17-career games in double-digits, including 13 this season, reaching double-digits in 10 of the last 12.
• After scoring 134 points in 31 games as a freshman last season, she recorded 233 in 21 games in 2020-21.
• Eight of her 17-career double-digit games have come against Top 15 teams (18 pts at #9 UCLA, 1/10/21; 15 pts vs. #15 Oregon State, 12/8/20; 15 pts vs. #3 Oregon, 1/30/20; 15 pts vs. #8 Stanford, 2/14/20; 13 pts at #6 Stanford, 1/26/20; 12 pts vs. #8 UCLA, 2/12/21; 11 pts vs. #1 Stanford, 1/15/21; 11 pts at #10 Arizo-na, 1/22).
• Has two career 20 point games, both coming this season.
• Had a career-high 25 points on 10-for-12 shooting against Arizona State (1/24), not missing a shot till the 4:13 mark of the third quarter. She was also a perfect 5-for-5 from the three, which was the most threes by a Ute this season and tied for the Pac-12 lead in three-point field goal percentage (minimum five made).
• Her 10 field goals made against Arizona State (1/24) also tied for the team lead with Brynna Maxwell (10 vs. Oregon State, 12/8).
• Scored 21 points against California (2/5), shooting 50-percent from the three.
"It is always about bouncing back and taking those next steps in improving our game as a team."
— Utah Women's Basketball (@UTAHWBB) January 24, 2021
24 :: Kennady McQueen :: 5-10 :: Guard :: Freshman
• Played in all 21 games, averaging 16.7 minutes, 5.1 points and 1.3 rebounds per game.
• Had three double-digit games this season.
• Notched her first collegiate double-digit game against Washington State (1/1), scoring a career-high 11 points on 4-of-6 shooting from the floor, also going 2-for-3 from beyond the arc. She also tied her career-best with three assists and two steals against the Cougars.
• Scored 10 points in Utah's game against No. 1 Stanford (1/15), shooting 60-percent from the floor (3-5) and 67-percent from the three (2-3), also grab-bing a career-high six rebounds.
• Recorded 10 points against Washington (2/19), also leading the Utes in rebounds in that game (5).
No fear from this freshman. ??
— Utah Women's Basketball (@UTAHWBB) January 19, 2021
42 :: Peyton McFarland :: 6-4 :: Forward :: Freshman
• Played in 20 games, starting 12. She averaged 15.1 minutes, 3.9 points and 4.4 rebounds per game.
• Had two double-digit point games and two double-digit rebounding games this season.
• Tied for 11th in the Pac-12 in blocks per game (1.1).
• Recorded a career-high six blocks against Arizona State (12/18), the most by a Ute since Kristi Rose put up a school record nine against Colorado State on Feb. 8, 1997. McFarland now ranks second all-time at Utah in single-game blocks behind Rose.
• Her six blocks against the Sun Devils tied as the most by a Pac-12 player this season.
• Career-high 14 points against Washington State (2/21), scoring a career-high five field goals (5-8) and four free throws (4-6).
• Recorded her first-career double-double as a Ute against Arizona (12/20), scoring 10 points with a career-best 11 rebounds. It was the first double-double by a Utah freshman since Utah's game against Arizona on Feb. 15, 2019.
Q2 | 2:55 | UCLA 50, Utah 27
GREAT move by the freshman down low! Watch more on @Pac12Network.
— Utah Women's Basketball (@UTAHWBB) January 10, 2021
53 :: Kelsey Rees :: 6-5 :: Forward :: Freshman
• Played in 20 games, averaging 10.7 minutes, 3.1 points and 2.4 rebounds per game.
• Recorded her first collegiate double-digit game against Washington State (2/21), scoring 10 points on 5-for-8 shooting (62%), adding a team-high tying six rebounds.
• Scored nine points against No. 1 Stanford (1/15), shooting a season-best 67-percent from the floor (4-6).
• She grabbed a career-high eight rebounds against USC (2/14).
• Knocked down her first collegiate three-pointer against Colorado (12/14).
?? @_kelseyrees appreciation post ??
— Utah Women's Basketball (@UTAHWBB) February 22, 2021