Bruins Sweep Buffs
LOS ANGELES – The University of Colorado women's tennis team fell to No.5-ranked UCLA 4-0 here Saturday afternoon.
The Buffaloes (7-6, 1-4 Pac-12) drop their fourth-straight conference match and 22 straight points as UCLA (10-3, 4-0 Pac-12) improved to four wins to lead the conference.
The No.1 doubles team of Sara Nayar and Fleur Eggink were in a battle with Abbey Forbes and Jada Hart, a strong duo that includes the No.7 singles player in Forbes and half of the No.1 doubles team in the nation in Hart. The duo were down 4-3 when the No.2 tandem of Sophia Derivan and Megan Forster fell 6-2 to end the doubles point after Maria Campos and Ky Ecton dropped the No.3 doubles match 6-1.
Moving to singles, the Bruins flexed a bit and rallied to three quick match victories. No.119 Vanessa Ong played in the No.6 singles match against Eggink, sweeping the match 6-0, 6-0 to pick up the second point. The third team point came as Forbes, the seventh-ranked singles player in the nation, defeated Nayar 6-0, 6-1. The clinching match came with Vivian Wolff defeated Campos in the No.4 singles match, 6-4, 6-1.
The Buffs were battling, as Megan Forster was up convincingly in the No.5 singles match second set against Annette Goulak. The Bruin took the first set 6-4, but Forster had her on the ropes in the second at 4-1 when the match was clinched. Antonia Balzert was close in a second set against Abi Altick in the No.3 singles match but ended it 6-2, 3-2, while No.113 Sasha Vagramov was moving in on a clinch point against Derivan in the No.2 singles match after sweeping the first set and being up 5-2 in the second.
The 22-point losing streak is tied for the longest streak in school history, matching the streak done in 2014 that saw CU fall to all four Pac-12 California based schools in sweeps. Colorado will have to correct this on the road against UC-Santa Barbara next Friday.
Colorado vs UCLA
3/20/2021 at Los Angeles, CA
(Los Angeles Tennis Center)
#5 UCLA 4, Colorado 0
1. #7 Abbey Forbes (UCLA) def. Sara Nayar (COLO) 6-0, 6-1
2. #113 Sasha Vagramov (UCLA) vs. Sophia Derivan (COLO) 6-0, 5-2, unfinished
3. Abi Altick (UCLA) vs. Antonia Balzert (COLO) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
4. Vivian Wolff (UCLA) def. Maria Campos (COLO) 6-4, 6-1
5. Annette Goulak (UCLA) vs. Megan Forster (COLO) 6-4, 1-4, unfinished
6. #119 Vanessa Ong (UCLA) def. Fleur Eggink (COLO) 6-0, 6-0
1. Abbey Forbes/Jada Hart (UCLA) vs. Fleur Eggink/Sara Nayar (COLO) 4-3, unfinished
2. Annette Goulak/Vivian Wolff (UCLA) def. Sophia Derivan/Megan Forster (COLO) 6-2
3. Vanessa Ong/Sasha Vagramov (UCLA) def. Maria Campos/Ky Ecton (COLO) 6-1
UCLA 10-3; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,1,4)