No. 5 Women's Tennis Rolls to 4-0 Defeat of Colorado
LOS ANGELES – The No. 5 UCLA women's tennis team completed a sweep of the Pac-12's Mountain schools Saturday, posting a 4-0 result over Colorado at Los Angeles Tennis Center.
The Bruins (10-3, 4-0 in Pac-12 play) surrendered just six total games in the finished singles matches, with Vivian Wolff proving to be the clincher for the first time in her UCLA career. Abbey Forbes and Vanessa Ong also logged singles wins. Ong and Wolff each earned two victories on the day, with Wolff also on court when the doubles point was secured. The shutout of the Buffaloes (7-6, 0-3) was the second in as many days for the Bruins, who defeated Utah by a 7-0 score Friday.
Ong and Sasha Vagramov turned in their second 6-1 win in a row on Court 3, dispatching of Maria Campos and Ky Ecton to put UCLA halfway to the day's first point. On Court 2, Wolff and Annette Goulak dropped the first two games against Sophia Derivan and Megan Forster before charging back to take the rest and lock up the initial point. Goulak and Wolff are now 10-1 and winners of eight matches in a row. During that stretch, the pair has given up more than two games just once.
The Bruins swept the singles first sets, with Forbes, Ong and Vagramov each logging a 6-0 result. Vagramov ultimately had her match with Derivan on Court 2 left unfinished, leading 6-0, 5-2.
First off was No. 119 Ong, who followed up her 6-0 first set with an identical showing in the second. The Court-6 win over Fleur Eggink improved Ong's record to 3-1, including a 3-0 mark at LATC.
No. 7 Forbes did not miss a beat after sitting out singles play Friday. Playing on the top court, she saw her win total rise to 10 -- in 11 matches – with a 6-0, 6-1 performance against Sara Nayar.
Wolff held off Campos in a close first set on Court 4, but overpowered her opponent the rest of the way to seal victory. The win was the second in as many days for Wolff, who prevailed by the same 6-1, 6-4 score Friday.
UCLA continues conference play Sunday, March 28, when it visits the Oregon Student Tennis Center to face Oregon. First serve is scheduled for 11 a.m., PT.
Tennis Match Results
Colorado vs UCLA
3/20/2021 at Los Angeles, CA
(Los Angeles Tennis Center)
#5 UCLA 4, Colorado 0
1. #7 Abbey Forbes (UCLA) def. Sara Nayar (COLO) 6-0, 6-1
2. #113 Sasha Vagramov (UCLA) vs. Sophia Derivan (COLO) 6-0, 5-2, unfinished
3. Abi Altick (UCLA) vs. Antonia Balzert (COLO) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
4. Vivian Wolff (UCLA) def. Maria Campos (COLO) 6-4, 6-1
5. Annette Goulak (UCLA) vs. Megan Forster (COLO) 6-4, 1-4, unfinished
6. #119 Vanessa Ong (UCLA) def. Fleur Eggink (COLO) 6-0, 6-0
1. Abbey Forbes/Jada Hart (UCLA) vs. Fleur Eggink/Sara Nayar (COLO) 4-3, unfinished
2. Annette Goulak/Vivian Wolff (UCLA) def. Sophia Derivan/Megan Forster (COLO) 6-2
3. Vanessa Ong/Sasha Vagramov (UCLA) def. Maria Campos/Ky Ecton (COLO) 6-1
UCLA 10-3; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,1,4)