Utah Women's Tennis Drops Road Contest at #24 USC
LOS ANGELES – The Utes finished off the weekend's matches playing against No. 24 USC at the Marks Stadium. After dropping the doubles point, the Utes battled through the singles matches, but fell for final score of 7-0 against the Trojans.
After challenging doubles matches, the Utes ceded the point to the Trojans. On courts three and two, USC cruised to a win to take the doubles point. On court two, Anya Lamoreaux and Anastasia Goncharova had the match tied at 4-4, but also fell to their opponents, 6-4, as the match moved into singles.
The Trojans pushed the Utes in the first set and picked up four wins in the first, although Goncharova and Hung managed to win their first sets for Utah. On court two, Dush faced USC's No. 103-ranked Naomi Cheong and fell 6-1, 6-0, granting the Trojans their second point. M. Lamoreaux also fell to her opponent, 6-1, 6-2, on court one. The Trojans' match point came on court six, where Clare McKee took the victory against Madison Tattini, 6-2, 6-3. On court five, A. Lamoreaux fell to USC's Summer Dvorak, 6-1, 6-2, adding the fifth point to USC's score.
The Utes battled through tough matches, especially on courts three and four, but ultimately ceded the points. On court three, Hung was close to grasping the victory, but fell short despite picking up the first-set win. Hung battled it out in the third set and had the set tied 3-3, but couldn't pull out a win. Similarly, on court four Goncharova came close to winning, but was defeated after a tight second set where she fell 7-3 in a tiebreaker after trading sets back and forth throughout. In the third set, She fell 10-7 to end the match after falling behind early.
The Utes will head back to Salt Lake City to continue Pac-12 play with two home matches. On Friday, Apr. 2, the Utes will face Washington State at 1:30 p.m. MT, followed by Washington on Sunday, Apr. 4 at 11 a.m. MT the George S. Eccles Tennis Center.
USC 7, UTAH 0
1. #48 Eryn Cayetano (USC) def. Madeline Lamoreaux (UTAH) 6-1, 6-2
2. #103 Naomi Cheong (USC) def. Emily Dush (UTAH) 6-1, 6-0
3. Salma Ewing (USC) def. Lindsay Hung (UTAH) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Danielle Willson (USC) def. Anastasia Goncharova (UTAH) 4-6, 7-6 (7-3), 1-0 (10-7)
5. Summer Dvorak (USC) def. Anya Lamoreaux (UTAH) 6-1, 6-2
6. Clare McKee (USC) def. Madison Tattini (UTAH) 6-2, 6-3
1. Eryn Cayetano/Naomi Cheong (USC) def. Madeline Lamoreaux/Emily Dush (UTAH) 6-1
2. Salma Ewing/Clare McKee (USC) def. Anya Lamoreaux/Anastasia Goncharova (UTAH) 6-4
3. Danielle Willson/Summer Dvorak (USC) def. Lindsay Hung/Jasmine Rich (UTAH) 6-1