Water Polo Dominates in Win Over SJSU
TEMPE, ARIZ.-- The #4 ranked Arizona State water polo team (8-4) beat 17 ranked San Jose State (1-4) in dominant fashion on Saturday behind seven different Sun Devil scorers to advance to 8-4 on the season. This 11-4 win came after a bye week for the Sun Devils allowed them an extra week to rest and prepare for the Spartans.
Coach Todd Clapper praised his team and called today's victory, "a good confident win. There are always things we can get better at… They're (SJSU) a good team and I am happy with how we did. Now that we know them a little bit better, we can bring a little bit more... passing has to be better on offense."
Amira Van Buren, Bori Kekesi, Bente Rogge, and Ali Cameron all had two goals on the day in the team's win over SJSU. Bente Rogge has now scored a goal in 11 straight games, while freshman Luca Petovary has extended her scoring streak to 12 straight games with one goal in the contest today. Offensively, ASU scored 11 goals on 21 shots for a 0.524 shooting percentage, their third highest of the season.
Rogge??McDowell puts the Sun Devils in double digits??
ASU 10 | SJSU 3
4th- 5:09 pic.twitter.com/UnK1Sm8Yau
— Sun Devil Water Polo (@SunDevilWP) March 20, 2021
Defensively the Sun Devils held SJSU to just four goals total, and just one goal in the second half off of a goal that came in the final minutes of play for the Spartans. Chelsea Karimazondo started in goal for ASU, and recorded 10 saves to put her at 52 on the season. Karimazondo had a 0.714 save percentage on the day holding SJSU to just four goals on 27 shots.
Today's game against SJSU was an MPSF conference contest, and this win puts the Sun Devils over .500 with a 2-1 record in MPSF play. ASU currently sits at second in the MPSF, tied with Stanford who won against Indiana today with #1 UCLA off this week.
UP NEXT: The Sun Devils will face SJSU for the final time this season tomorrow Mar. 21 back at Mona Plummer for a midday game at 1:00 PM MST. The game will be viewable via the Arizona State Live Stream: https://pac-12.com/live/arizona-state-university-2.
ASU 11, SJSU 4
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first period started off flow, with many turnovers, but the Sun Devils were able to put four goals on the board thanks to two quick goals from Rogge in the closing minutes.
- Second period saw Van Buren, Petovary, and Marti record goals for ASU.
- ASU was up 7-3 at the half, off a behind-the-back goal from Alba Olive Marti in the final minutes of the second period.
- The third period was highlighted by a strong ASU defense that did not allow San Jose State to get on the board.
- The Sun Devils were up 9-3 headed into the fourth period.
- McDowell got the Sun Devils on the board first in the fourth off of a goal assisted by Rogge.
- Cameron had her second goal of the game at the 4:24 mark in the fourth period.
- Sun Devils held the Spartans to just one goal in the second half of play, which came in the final minutes of the fourth period, to secure the win.