Skip to main content

Cal Ties No. 9 Stanford 0-0 In 2 OTs

Mar 24, 2021
Jonathan Estrada and the Bears earned a hard-fought tie with the Cardinal on Wednesday.

STANFORD, Calif. – Collin Travasos made five saves for the Cal men's soccer team as the Golden Bears posted a 0-0, double-overtime tie with No. 9 Stanford on Wednesday night on the Farm. The Bears had a couple of late scoring chances but were denied by the Cardinal in part two of this season's Big Clasico
A redshirt freshman goalkeeper, Travasos earned his second consecutive shutout for the Bears, who posted their first draw of the season.
Cal's record is now 2-3-1 (2-3-1 Pac-12), while Stanford is 6-1-1 (4-1-1 Pac-12).
The Bears fell to the Cardinal in their first meeting this season, a 3-1 setback in the season opener in Berkeley. But Cal has since righted the ship and gone unbeaten in three straight games.
"Obviously, we put in an incredible performance tonight, and you couldn't be more proud of the boys in their improvement thus far," Cal head coach Kevin Grimes said. "We'll get back to training and continue to get after it."
The Bears had a couple of early chances on Wednesday, with midfielder Francisco Perez taking a shot from close range in the sixth minute and forcing a save out of Stanford goalkeeper Andrew Thomas. Cal forward Alonzo Del Mundo had a shot on goal in the 18th minute, with Thomas again making the save.
Each team had a goal disallowed. Stanford seemingly scored after a corner kick in the 36th minute, but the goal was waved off due to a Cardinal foul.
The teams eventually took the 0-0 score into halftime.
Stanford outshot Cal 18-8, including 7-3 in the second half, but Cal had some quality scoring chances.
Cal's best chance came in the 74th minute, when the ball found its way to Arman Samimi in the Stanford box. The sophomore forward quickly spun and fired into the Cardinal net. But Samimi was ruled offside.
Defender JJ Foe Nuphaus – who scored his first collegiate goal in a 1-0 win at Stanford as a freshman – hit a screamer that Thomas saved in the 85th minute. Seconds later, Cal forward Jonathan Estrada shot high over Stanford's goal. Perez had a shot blocked in the 89th minute, and the game went to overtime.
In the final overtime period, Cal outshot Stanford 3-2. Lucas Churchill hit a 19-yard shot wide, a Foe Nuphaus shot was saved by Thomas and Del Mundo's effort in the 109th minute – the last shot of the game – was blocked. Travasos made his last save on a Keegan Hughes shot at the 106 mark.
The Bears next host No. 3 Oregon State on Sunday, March 28, at 7 p.m. at Witter Rugby Field.