No. 14 Indiana in Town to Cap Off Home Stand
TEMPE, ARIZ-- The Arizona State water polo team (9-4) looks to finish their 15 game home stand strong with two games at Mona Plummer against No. 14 Indiana University (8-6) on Mar 27 at 1:00 PM MST and Mar 28 at 10:00 AM MST. Both games will count as conference play, where ASU is currently tied with Stanford for second in Mountain Pacific Sport Federation (MPSF) standings with a 3-1 conference record. The Hoosiers are 0-2 in conference play after losing back-to-back games against Stanford.
Looking ahead to this weekend's matchup, Head Coach Todd Clapper noted, "Every weekend is different. Every week is putting us much closer to where we want to be at the end of April. It is a time for us also to maybe bring in a couple new concepts… but it's more about us having things we need to fix."
The Sun Devils stayed at the four spot in the week seven Collegiate Water Association Women's Varsity Polls behind their two wins over No. 17 San Jose State University last weekend. Offensively for the Sun Devils, freshman Luca Petovary and senior Bente Rogge were among the eight Sun Devil scorers against SJSU, as both of them stayed hot and continued their scoring streaks to 13 and 12 games, respectively.
Rogge's two goals against the Spartans in Sunday's matchup, put her at 131 career goals as a Sun Devil which moved her into 10th all-time. She is tied with Lena Mihailovic who was a member of the program from 2015-2018.
Junior Blaire McDowell has helped on both sides of the ball, and has scored for the Sun Devils in the last five games and adding four steals in that stretch. With those four steals, McDowell is second in the MPSF in that category with 21.
How to Watch: Both games will be watchable via the Arizona State Live Stream here: https://pac-12.com/live/arizona-state-university-3.
About the Hoosiers:
- The Hoosiers came into the season ranked 13th in the CWPA polls, after finishing the 2020 season 13-5.
- IU is currently 8-6 and on a four game losing streak.
- The leading scorer for the Hoosiers is Izzy Mandema, with 41 goals.
- The Hoosiers are 3-12 against ASU all-time.
- Two Hoosiers earned All-American honors in 2020, Tina Doherty and Megan Abarta.
- ASU scored 23 goals in two games against San Jose State.
- ASU has won the last 12 straight games against IU.
- Luca Petovary leads the team with 29 goals, and is second in the MPSF in goals behind IU's Izzy Mandema.
- This is ASU's 18th time in program history being in the No. 4 spot.
- Chelsea Karimazondo leads the MPSF with 7.4 saves-per-game.
- ASU has outscored their opponents 152-106 on the season.