Strong Offense Not Enough At Colorado
BOULDER, Colo. – Despite four reaching double figures in kills, Sun Devil Volleyball came up just short at Colorado in five sets (13-25, 25-16, 25-13, 14-25, 16-14) on Friday night.
- Arizona State (5-12) hit a blistering .316 but still came up short to Colorado (7-10). This was the second-highest hitting percentage of the season and third time hitting over .300.
- The Sun Devils had three reach double figures in kills and two reach double digits in digs, earning more total kills (60) and digs (63) than Colorado.
- Freshman Marta Levinska notched her second double-double with 15 kills and a career-high 11 digs. She hit a .367 clip and had a career-high three aces.
- Sophomore Iman Isanovic had 18 kills to lead all players, hitting .255. She also collected nine digs and two blocks.
- Leading the defense was sophomore Annika Larson who had a match-high 21 digs. This was her third match with 20-plus digs. She also had two aces.
- Freshman setter Ella Snyder earned a career-high 49 assists. She also collected eight digs, two kills and an ace.
- The other two Sun Devils earning double-digits in kills were Roberta Rabelo with 14 and Megan Beedie with 10. Rabelo also led the team in blocks with three. Beedie's .500 clip was a season high.
Set One: Arizona State 25, Colorado 13
The first set started close until the Sun Devils went on a 5-0 run with Isanovic at the service line. After that, it was all Arizona State. ASU later put together a 7-1 run that saw five kills to extend the lead to 22-12. A kill from Levinska wrapped up the set, winning 25-13.
Set Two: Colorado 25, Arizona State 16
The Buffs jumped out to a 4-0 lead to start the second frame, getting a lead they would not give up. A 3-0 run for the Sun Devils cut the deficit to 11-8, highlighted by kills from Levinska and Isanovic. However, Colorado continued to add to its lead with short runs until it became insurmountable. ASU would drop the set, 25-16.
Set Three: Colorado 25, Arizona State 13
Both teams were competing closely at the beginning the third set. A kill from Levinska tied it up at 6-6 before Colorado took the lead again. Ultimately, the Sun Devils gave up seven straight points to make it 23-12 and they could not come back, falling 25-13.
Set Four: Arizona State 25, Colorado 14
A kill from Rabelo and an ace from Larson made it a 4-3 early in the set. The Sun Devils followed that up with a 4-0 run to jump out to an 8-4 advantage. Levinska had two aces and a kill to lead ASU to score five in a row, making it 21-12. A couple of errors for Colorado would complete the 25-14 win for ASU to force a fifth set.
Set Five: Arizona State 16, Colorado 14
The fifth set was back and forth from start to finish. Back-to-back kills from Beedie gave ASU a 5-3 lead. The Buffaloes responded with a 4-0 run to go up 7-5. The teams traded leads and ties again, the Sun Devils eventually tying it up at 12-12 after an error from the Buffs. Arizona State held off two match points with a kill from Levinska and an ace from Larson. However, the comeback came up short and Colorado took the set at 16-14.
These two teams will battle again on Sunday at 11 a.m. MST. It will be on the Colorado Live Stream.