Ducks Fall To Pair of Top-11 Teams
TUCSON, Ariz. – Oregon battled hard against top-level competition for the second straight day, but lost matches to No. 11 California and No. 4 UCLA, 5-0, on the final day of the Pac-12 South Invitational.
How It Happened: The Ducks put up a good fight once again in the opening match of the day against the Bears, but lost 5-0 once again. Savannah Siegrist and Delaney Hopen took the opening set of their match on court No. 5 for the first set win of the weekend for a Duck duo. They went up 1-0 in their match with a 21-18 win but dropped the next two 21-7, 15-8.
Two other pairs played competitive opening sets before ultimately falling in straight sets. Josie Cole and Zoe Almanza made things interesting in the first set at the No. 3 spot but lost 21-17, 21-10 while Bea Wetton and Ashley Schroeder made it close in their first set at No. 4 in a 21-18, 21-15 loss.
Oregon couldn't get much going in its second match of the day against No. 4 UCLA. Wetton and Schroeder again fought hard at the No. 4 spot, playing a competitive first set in a 21-17, 21-13 straight sets loss. Cole and Almanza were the only other Duck pair to get to double-figures in both sets, but lost 21-14, 21-10 on court No. 3.
#11 California 5, Oregon 0
1. Mima Mirkovic/Caroline Schafer (CAL) def. Carly Wallace/Anastasia Lima (ORE) 21-10, 21-13
2. Jordan Polo/Ainsley Radell (CAL) def. Madelyn LaFollette/Vivian Donovan (ORE) 21-12, 21-10
3. Alexia Inman/Maddie Micheletti (CAL) def. Josie Cole/Zoe Almanza (ORE) 21-17, 21-10
4. Katie Smoot/Maddie Sundholm (CAL) def. Bea Wetton/Ashley Schroeder (ORE) 21-18, 21-15
5. Brooke Buchner/Grace Paulson (CAL) def. Savannah Siegrist/Delaney Hopen (ORE) 18-21, 21-7, 15-8
Order of Finish – 1, 2, 4, 3, 5
#4 UCLA 5, Oregon 0
1. Savvy Simo/Lexy Denaburg (UCLA) def. Carly Wallace/Anastasia Lima (ORE) 21-14, 21-8
2. Abby Van Winkle/Lea Monkhouse (UCLA) def. Madelyn LaFollette/Vivian Donovan (ORE) 21-13, 21-7
3. Devon Newberry/Lindsey Sparks (UCLA) def. Josie Cole/Zoe Almanza (ORE) 21-10, 21-14
4. Megan Muret/Jacqueline Quade (UCLA) def. Bea Wetton/Ashley Schroeder (ORE) 21-17, 21-13
5. Rileigh Powers/Jaden Whitmarsh (UCLA) def. Batia Rotshtein/Delaney Hopen (ORE) 21-5, 21-7
Order of Finish – 5, 1, 3, 2, 4
Up Next: The Ducks are off for a couple of weeks before heading up to Salem for matches against Portland and Corban on April 13.