First Road Trip of the Season for No. 4 Water Polo
The Sun Devil water polo team will hit the road for the first time this season, for a quick two game weekend at No. 6 Cal in Berkeley, California. ASU remained ranked in the four spot in this week's Collegiate Water Polo Association Polls, meanwhile the Golden Bears dropped from five to six after losing two games last weekend. Both games will count as Mountain Pacific Sports Federation conference play, where Cal currently has yet to tally an MPSF win.
Arizona State is coming off of two home wins against conference opponent No. 14 Indiana, where senior defender Bente Rogge picked up MPSF Player of the Week honors after a stellar performance against the Hoosiers. Rogge has the second longest scoring streak on the team at 14 games, just one game behind freshman Luca Petovary's 15 game streak. Petovary's hot streak has her sitting second in the MPSF conference in goals-scored with 32, behind IU's Izzy Mandema (44).
6?? goals, 4?? assists, and 6?? steals on the weekend ?? MPSF Player of the Week honors ????Congratulations, Bente ?? pic.twitter.com/V8rsBEjGJt
— Sun Devil Water Polo (@SunDevilWP) March 30, 2021
Record Book Update: Bente Rogge is currently ninth all-time in career goals scored in program history, with 137, and is just one goal shy of tying Mariam Salloum (138) for the eighth spot. Lynlee Smith currently sits at No. 7 all-time with 156 goals.
On Watch: Petovary's 32 goals lead the team, and also have her on watch to enter record books for the all-time goals scored as a freshman. Lieke Rogge is currently 9th all time with 37 goals, so five goals for Petovary would have her tied with L. Rogge and etched in the record books.
Game info: Both games will take place at Spieker Aquatics Complex at 12:00 p.m. MST Saturday April 3-4. Cal will be live streaming the first game against the Sun Devils via the live stream link below, and fans will be able to follow along via the live stat link for game two.
Live Stream: https://pac-12.com/live/university-california-4
About the Golden Bears (5-4):
- Cal was ranked eight in the preseason polls, after ending their 2020 season with an 11-7 record.
- They have an 0-4 record in MPSF play, and sit tied for last in the division with San Jose State and Indiana.
- Golden Bears are currently on a four game loss streak after series' against UCLA and USC.
- Cal leads the all-time meetings with a 22-7 record against the Sun Devils.
- Bridget Mulder is Cal's leading scorer with 17 goals.
- Cal is 2-2 at home.
About the Sun Devils (11-4):
- The Sun Devils are 5-1 in MPSF play, with the one loss coming to just Stanford.
- Their 5-1 MPSF record has them in the two spot with a 0.833 behind USC (4-0) and ahead of UCLA (3-1).
- Their No. 4 ranking is just the program's 19th time in this position.
- This is the seventh straight week the Sun Devils have been ranked in the top five of the CWPA polls.
- Rogge leads the MPSF in field blocks with 12.
- Lara Kiss is second in assists with 19 in the MPSF behind IU's Zoe Crouch (31).
- Blaire McDowell is second in steals in the MPSF with 26, just one steal behind IU's Katherine Hawkins.