Utah Tennis Defeats Nevada 4-3 in Reno
RENO, Nev. – The Utah men's tennis team started off this week's road trip week playing against Nevada this Thursday afternoon at the McArthur Tennis Center in Reno. The Utes secured the doubles point and went on to win the necessary singles matches to take the victory with final score of 4-3.
During doubles play, the Utes automatically had a match in their favor on court three, where Luis Flores and Chris Heck won by default. On court two, Geronimo Busleiman and Mathias Gavelin downed the Nevada duo handedly, winning 6-1 to give the Utes their first point.
Heading to singles play, on court six Luis Flores won by default once more after Nevada only suited up five players due to contact tracing within the program, awarding Utah with its second point off the bat.
On court three, Busleiman downed Nevada's Juan Batalla 6-4, 6-1 to try and build momentum. Nevada's first point came on court four, where Satchel Benn defeated Gavelin 6-2, 6-2. Shortly after, Capalbo took the upper hand over his competition on court one, winning 6-2, 6-3 and granting the Utes their match-clinching point. On court two, Shainyan played a long and competitive match, but fell short after dropping the third-set tiebreaker narrowly, 11-9. Finally, on court five, Nevada was able to secure its third point when Loris Zisswiller downed Heck after three close sets as well (2-6, 6-2, 3-6).
The Utes will continue their road trip, moving west to California. On Friday, Apr. 2, the Utes will face the UC Davis Aggies at the Marya Welch Tennis Center at 11 a.m. MT in Davis, Calif.
UTAH 4, NEV 3
1. Franco Capalbo (UTAH) def. Delmas N'Tcha (NEV) 6-2, 6-3
2. Isaac Nortey (NEV) def. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) 5-7, 6-0, 1-0 (11-9)
3. Geronimo Busleiman (UTAH) def. Juan Batall (NEV) 6-4, 6-1
4. Satchel Benn (NEV) def. Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) 6-2, 6-2
5. Loris Zisswiller (NEV) def. Chris Heck (UTAH) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
6. Luis Flores (UTAH) def. No player (NEV) by default
1. Isaac Nortey/Juan Batalla (NEV) vs Franco Capalbo/Slava Shainyan (UTAH) 5-3, unfinished
2. Geronimo Busleiman/Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. Loris Zisswiller/Satchel Benn (NEV) 6-1
3. Luis Flores/Chris Heck (UTAH) def. No player (NEV) by default