Despite Bigger Bats, Softball Falls to Utah
SALT LAKE CITY -- Despite scoring four runs and outhitting the Utes, the No.14 Sun Devil Softball team fell to Pac-12 Conference foe Utah, 6-4, on Friday afternoon at Dumke Family Softball Stadium.
Kindra Hackbarth hit a solo home run, her eighth of the season, to open the Sun Devil scoring in the fifth.
ASU continued to score late in the sixth and seventh, but the last-minute effort ultimately fell short. ASU outhit the Utes, 9-6, but ran into trouble bringing everyone home, stranding nine runners on base through the seven-inning matchup.
UP NEXT: The Sun Devils will be back in action tomorrow, Saturday, April 3, to finish its three-day conference series against Utah. First pitch is set for 11:00 a.m. MST on the Utah Live Stream.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- ASU loaded the bases in the first but came up empty. Utah scored two runs in the first to take the lead 2-0. It's the first time this year that the Utes scored first against the Sun Devils
- ASU loaded the bases in the second with big arm Jazmine Hill at the plate. ASU came up short after the Utes caught Hills hit up center field and sent Kindra Hackbarth back to the dugout.
- Utah was scoreless in the second after true freshman Allison Royalty forced two flyouts to center fielder Kindra Hackbarth, a play thrown by shortstop Alynah Torres to first base Denae Chatman.
- The Sun Devils had their biggest chance to date in the bottom of the second as Makenna Harper, and Halle Harger combined for back-to-back singles. The Utes gave Kindra Hackbarth a walk, which loaded the bases. Much ado turned out to be nothing as Jazmine Hill reached on a fielder's choice, and Utah got the third out with K. Hackbarth running from first to second.
- Allison Royalty went three-up, three-down to bring her team back to the plate. Neither team could get much going in the third, and ASU remained scoreless through the fourth. Utah tacked on an extra run to lead 3-0 going into the fifth.
- Kindra Hackbarth homered to left center, putting ASU on the board 3-1 in the fifth.
- Utah scored three runs in the fifth after singling to left field and doubling to left-center, bringing the score 6-1.
- Yanni Acuna hit a single and stole second while Makenna Harper faced the Utes' staff. Denae Chatman flew out to right field but advanced Acuna and Harper into scoring position on second and third. Acuna scored on a wild pitch that the Utah catcher had to chase down, opening up home plate. Loomis singled to second base allowing Harper to score, ending the top of the sixth 6-3.
- ASU keeps the Utes from scoring in the bottom of the sixth
- Yanni Acuna doubled to right center, allowing pinch-runner Olivia Miller to score in the seventh to put ASU 6-4. Jordyn VanHook hit a foul to left field with Utah throwing the ball to second with Acuna out at second to end the game.