Gameday: Baseball vs. Utah (4/3/21)
GAME 26: Oregon State (20-5, 6-1) vs. Utah (5-15, 2-6)
April 3, 2021 • 12:05 p.m. PT • Corvallis, Ore. • Goss Stadium at Coleman Field
LHP Cooper Hjerpe (2-1, 1.93) vs. RHP David Watson (1-3, 5.68)
Oregon State closes out its three-game series with Utah Saturday afternoon at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field. First pitch is slated for 12:05 p.m. PT.
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), Rip City Radio 620-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the TuneIn application, which is available for smartphones and tablets (search Beaver Sports Network).
The game will not be broadcast.
The game can also be found online by visiting OSUBeavers.com; click on the schedule link for a direct link to live video.
A live video stream, produced by Oregon State, will be available. Visit the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com for a link.
Jacob Melton hit three home runs, becoming the first Beaver to do so since 2001, in a 17-3 Oregon State win over Utah Friday night at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field. Melton hit a grand slam in the seventh and solo shots in the third and eighth innings. He also doubled home a run in the fifth en route to seven RBI on the night. Ryan Ober and Garret Forrester, meanwhile, hit back-to-back home runs in the fifth to give Oregon State seven overall on the night.
Melton On A Tear
• Jacob Melton's historic night Friday pushed his hit streak to five games, where he is 14-for-19 (.737) with a double, triple, four home runs and nine RBI.
• Melton became the first Beaver to hit three home runs in the same game since Andy Jarvis against Washington State on March 11, 2001.
• Melton is the second Beaver to hit for a grand slam this season. Ryan Ober did so first against New Mexico while in Surprise.
That's A Discrepancy
• Oregon State upped its season batting average seven points to .299 after tallying 17 hits in 39 at bats on Friday.
• The .299 average is 108 points higher than the .191 batting average allowed by OSU's pitchers.
• In conference play, Oregon State is batting .337 while opponents have hit at a .190 clip.
• Cooper Hjerpe, Saturday's slated starter, has limited opponents to a .174 batting average this season.
• Jacob Melton is the second Beaver with seven RBI in a game. Joe Casey had seven on Monday versus Washington.
• Ryan Ober and Garret Forrester are the first OSU teammates with back-to-back home runs since Alex McGarry and Adley Rutschman on March 17, 2019 at UCLA.
• OSU reached double-figure hits for the seventh consecutive game on Friday.
• The win, coupled with a loss by USC to California, pushed the Beavers to a two-game lead in the Pac-12 Conference standings.
• The five home runs marked the most for the Beavers since OSU hit five on April 13, 2018 at Missouri State. It's the most against a conference foe since the Beavers tallied seven against Washington on March 7, 2001.
• Oregon State improved to 14-0-1 all-time versus Utah at home.