Women's Tennis Blanks Arizona in Road Finale
TUCSON, Ariz. – The No. 4/10 UCLA women's tennis team concluded the road portion of its regular-season schedule with a 4-0 defeat of Arizona Saturday at LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
Taylor Johnson clinched the shutout for the Bruins (13-3, 7-0 Pac-12), who also received victories from Abbey Forbes and Jada Hart. All came in straight sets. UCLA needed a comeback effort in doubles play to take the initial point from the Wildcats (11-10, 0-7). The Bruins have now won five matches in a row.
Annette Goulak and Vivian Wolff earned their 10th win in 11 tries, knocking off Gitte Heynemans and Kayla Wilkins by a 6-3 score to give UCLA the early lead in the race to the day's first point. The combination of Forbes and Hart would suffer its first loss of the season in the next finished match, as Khim Iglupas and Jelena Lukic prevailed on the top court for Arizona. The 6-4 loss dropped the Bruins' record to 5-1. That put all the pressure on Court 3, where Elysia Bolton and Sasha Vagramov trailed by a 3-5 margin before securing the final four games and the clinching victory.
It was a clean sweep of singles first sets for the Bruins and Forbes, Hart and Johnson backed up their opening performances with near-identical showings the second time around.
No. 11 Forbes was first off for the third match in a row and fourth time in the last five. Her 6-2, 6-2 win over Lukic on the top court avenged the earlier doubles loss. Forbes' win marks her 10th in a row and she now holds a record of 13-1 in singles matches this season.
Next door, No. 121 Hart finished off Talya Zandberg with a 6-2, 6-1 showing to put UCLA one point away from the overall victory. Hart's fourth consecutive win also represents 91 for her career, placing the graduate student in a tie for No. 11, with Kelly Rudolph, on the program's all-time list (since 1991).
Johnson's 6-2, 6-3 triumph over Iglupas on Court 6 was her third in a row and fourth in five singles matches this season. She previously clinched the Bruins' March 7 win at Washington.
UCLA will play its final four regular season matches at Los Angeles Tennis Center, beginning Friday, April 9 against undefeated Stanford. First serve between the Bruins and Cardinal is set for 1:30 p.m., PT.
Tennis Match Results
UCLA vs Arizona
4/3/2021 at Tucson, AZ
(LaNelle Robson Tennis Center)
#10 UCLA 4, Arizona 0
1. #11 Abbey Forbes (UCLA) def. Jelena Lukic (ARIZ) 6-2, 6-2
2. #121 Jada Hart (UCLA) def. Talya Zandberg (ARIZ) 6-2, 6-1
3. Kayla Wilkins (ARIZ) vs. Sasha Vagramov (UCLA) 3-6, 5-1, unfinished
4. Abby Amos (ARIZ) vs. Annette Goulak (UCLA) 1-6, 5-2, unfinished
5. Gitte Heynemans (ARIZ) vs. Vanessa Ong (UCLA) 4-6, 3-3, unfinished
6. Taylor Johnson (UCLA) def. Khim Iglupas (ARIZ) 6-2, 6-3
1. Khim Iglupas/Jelena Lukic (ARIZ) def. #79 Abbey Forbes/Jada Hart (UCLA) 6-4
2. Annette Goulak/Vivian Wolff (UCLA) def. Gitte Heynemans/Kayla Wilkins (ARIZ) 6-3
3. Elysia Bolton/Sasha Vagramov (UCLA) def. Abby Amos/Talya Zandberg (ARIZ) 7-5
UCLA 13-3; National ranking #10
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,2,6)