Cal Hosts SDSU In Regular-Season Home Finale
BERKELEY – California men's soccer hosts San Diego State in the Golden Bears' last regular-season home game on Saturday at 7 p.m. at Witter Rugby Field. The game will be the second between the teams this season – Cal defeated SDSU in the teams' first meeting on March 13.
Cal brings a 3-4-1 overall record (3-4-1 Pac-12) into Saturday. SDSU is 1-5-2 (1-5-2 Pac-12).
Fans can watch the game via the live stream by clicking here. Please follow the live stats here and game updates on Twitter @CalMSoc.
Cal beat SDSU in March to collect its first win of 2021. Forward Arman Samimi came off the bench to assist on Cal's first goal – a 34th-minute strike by Fahmi Ibrahim – and to score the gamewinning goal in the 81st minute. Jonathan Estrada also tallied for the Bears, while goalkeeper Collin Travasos made four saves on his birthday to earn the win.
- Forward Jonathan Estrada, who scored in wins over UCLA and SDSU, leads Cal in goals (2) and points (4).
- Midfielder Evan Davila is tied for second in points (3) after netting a goal and an assist at UCLA.
- Forward Arman Samimi also has three points.
- Forward Nate Carrasco paces the Bears in assists with the two he collected against SDSU.
- Goalkeeper Collin Travasos has a goals-against average of 1.38 and a save percentage of 0.767 through eight games.
- Kevin Grimes (SMU '90) is in his 21st season as Cal's head coach.
- Grimes is Cal's all-time wins leader (207).
- Grimes' staff includes Cal alumni in assistant coach Jacob Wilson (class of 2009), goalkeeper coach Henry Foulk (class of 1984) and volunteer assistant coach Alec Sundly (class of 2013).
- In its last game, San Diego State lost at No. 6 Stanford, 3-1, on April 3.
- Midfielder Blake Bowen leads SDSU in goals (3) and points (7).
- Midfielder Inigo Villaldea paces his team in assists (2).
- Midfielder Tristan Weber scored the gamewinner in SDSU's first win of the season, a 2-0 shutout of No. 4 Washington on March 28.
- Goalkeeper Tetsuya Kadono, the younger brother of Cal alum Shinya Kadono, has a 2.18 GAA in eight games.
- Ryan Hopkins is in his first season as San Diego State's head coach.
Travasos, Samimi Named Pac-12 Players of the Week in March
Cal goalkeeper Collin Travasos and forward Arman Samimi earned Pac-12 Player of the Week accolades in the month of March. The conference honored Samimi on March 16 for his heroics in Cal's first win of the season at SDSU (see above), while Travasos earned the award on March 31 for shutting out No. 9 Stanford, 0-0, and No. 3 Oregon State, 1-0, in the same week.
Travasos, who made five saves in each of those results, was also named the Top Drawer Soccer Player of the Week and earned a spot on the Top Drawer Soccer Team of the Week for his play. Samimi earned honorable mention for the Top Drawer Soccer Team of the Week after the SDSU game.
Midfielder Fernando Andrade writes Fer Play, a Cal men's soccer blog on CalBears.com. An aspiring double major in business administration and political science, Andrade gives insight and behind the scenes details about the Bears during this unprecedented spring regular season. Click here to read Fer Play.
Cal ends the regular season at UCLA on April 17 at 2:30 p.m. in a game broadcast on the Pac-12 Networks.