Ducks Drop Weekend Opener
SEATTLE – Oregon had another one of its matches come down to the wire, with a pair of three-setters remaining to decide the outcome, but the Ducks ultimately fell at No. 48 Washington, 4-2.
How it Happened: Oregon jumped out to an early lead after taking the doubles point. Lillian Mould and Janice Tjen made quick work of their opponents at the No. 2 spot, coasting to a 6-1 win to put the Ducks halfway to the opening point. The other two matches turned out to be battles, with Rifanty Kahfiani and Uxia Martinez Moral pulling out a 7-5 win at No. 1, coming back from down 5-4 to win.
The Ducks got off to a bit of a slow start in singles, dropping the opening set at four spots. After UW put up its first point with a win at No. 2, Tjen continued her dominance with her third straight victory over a ranked opponent, topping No. 52 Vanessa Wong, 6-1, 6-4 at the No. 1 spot to put the Ducks back in front.
The Huskies would win the next two matches to finish, claiming victories at No. 6 and 5 to make it 3-2 and put them a point away from clinching. Mould battled back after dropping her first set to force a third and extend the match at the No. 3 spot. Martinez Moral again was locked in a battle at No. 4, winning her first set before falling in the second to force a third. She fell behind early in the deciding set and never
No. 48 Washington 4, No. 37 Oregon 2
1. Rifanty Kahfiani/Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) def. Vanessa Wong/Sarah-Maude Fortin (UW), 7-5
2. Lillian Mould/Janice Tjen (ORE) def. Sedona Gallagher/Zoey Weil (UW), 6-1
3. Allison Mulville/Julia Eshet (ORE) vs. Tara Chilton/Nika Zupancic (UW), 6-5
Order of finish: 2, 1
1. #121 Janice Tjen (ORE) def. #52 Vanessa Wong (UW), 6-1, 6-4
2. Sarah-Maude Fortin (UW) def. Rifanty Kahfiani (ORE), 6-1, 6-2
3. Sedona Gallagher (WASH) vs. Lillian Mould (ORE) 6-4, 5-7, 5-3, (uf)
4. Nika Zupancic (UW) def. Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Tara Chilton (UW) def. Julia Eshet (ORE), 6-2, 6-4
6. Zoey Weil (UW) def. Ares Teixido Garcia (ORE), 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 1, 6, 5, 4
Up Next: Oregon closes the regular season at Washington State on Sunday at 11 a.m.