Came, Sah, Conquered
STANFORD, Calif. – Timothy Sah clinched a match for Stanford for the second day in a row, as the No. 37/29 Cardinal defeated No. 15/12 USC, 4-3, on Saturday at Taube Family Tennis Center. Stanford improves to 8-3 this season, and is 5-0 in Pac-12 play.
USC took an early 1-0 lead in doubles, winning two of the three matches. Arthur Fery and Alexandre Rotsaert scored a win on court three, 6-4, but the Trojans responded with a win on court two to take the advantage.
Tristan Boyer leveled the score at 1-1 with a straight-set win on court four, 6-4, 6-4. USC and Stanford traded points on courts two and three, with Fery topping Riley Smith on court two for his second ranked win of the year to even the match at 2-2.
The Cardinal picked up its first lead of the afternoon, 3-2, after Axel Geller outlasted his opponent on court one. The senior won the final two games of the third set to clinch the win. USC, however, responded with a win on court six to tie the match.
Just 24 hours after clinching a 4-3 winner over UCLA, Sah was at it again with a three-set win on court five. Sah trailed 6-7, 0-5 in the match, and later was behind 3-5 in the third set, and rallied for a 6-7 (4), 7-6 (7), 7-5 victory to send the team into jubilation.
Stanford continues its campaign with three Pac-12 matches next week.
No. 37/29 Stanford 4, No. 15/12 USC 3
1) No. 2 Cuckierman/Smith (USC) d. Geller/Neel Rajesh (STAN), 6-1
2) Dostanic/Frye (USC) d. Boyer/Sah (STAN), 7-5
3) Fery/Rotsaert (STAN) d. Ryder Jackson/Weststrate (USC), 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1) Axel Geller (STAN) d. No. 26 Daniel Cuckierman (USC), 7-6 (4), 2-6, 7-6 (2)
2) No. 95 Arthur Fery (STAN) d. No. 28 Riley Smith (USC), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
3) No. 87 Stefan Dostanic (USC) d. Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN), 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
4) Tristan Boyer (STAN) d. Bradley Frye (USC), 6-4, 6-4
5) Timothy Sah (STAN) d. Lodewijk Weststrate (USC), 6-7 (4), 7-6 (7), 7-5
6) Jake Sands (USC) d. William Genesen (STAN), 7-6 (5), 3-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 2, 1, 6, 5