No. 16 Cal Falls 7-0 At No. 7 UCLA
LOS ANGELES – The 16th-ranked California women's tennis team fell to No. 7 UCLA, 7-0, on Saturday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center in the teams' third meeting of the season.
Cal's record now stands at 14-5 overall (7-2 Pac-12). UCLA improved to 15-3 (9-0 Pac-12).
The Cal pair of Jada Bui and Erin Richardson defeated Elysia Bolton and Taylor Johnson, 6-4, at court-three doubles. But the Bruins won twice to capture the doubles point, clinching when the 79th-ranked Abbey Forbes and Jada Hart topped Cal's Haley Giavara and Valentina Ivanov, 6-3, on court one.
UCLA secured the overall victory when Vivian Wolff beat Bui, 6-1, 6-4, at court-four singles.
Cal freshman Hannah Viller Moeller won the second set against UCLA's Annette Goulak on court five. But the Bruin prevailed, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, to end the match.
"The doubles point was very close today," Cal head coach Amanda Augustus said, "and yesterday us winning the doubles point elevated our play in singles against USC. UCLA getting the doubles point today lifted their game. We did our best to counteract it, but we just didn't quite do enough in singles. There was some really high-level tennis today. It's challenging when playing a team three or four times in a season, and I'm pretty sure we'll see them again in the Pac-12 tournament or NCAA tournament.
"We got a few things to work on going into Stanford next week. But, overall, I'm pleased with the weekend. We got a great win on the road at USC, and we're still in contention in the Pac-12. We'll work on those things, and we'll be ready."
The Bears conclude the regular season against No. 26 Stanford on April 16 at 1:30 p.m. on the Farm.
No. 7 UCLA (15-3, 9-0 Pac-12) defeated No. 16 California (14-5, 7-2 Pac-12), 7-0
April 10, 2021, in Los Angeles, Calif.
Los Angeles Tennis Center
1. No. 79 Abbey Forbes/Jada Hart (UCLA) def. Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (Cal), 6-3*
2. Annette Goulak/Vivian Wolff (UCLA) def. Anna Bright/Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal), 6-1
3. Jada Bui/Erin Richardson (Cal) def. Elysia Bolton/Taylor Johnson (UCLA), 6-4
Order of Finish – 2, 3, 1*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 11 Abbey Forbes (UCLA) def. No. 41 Haley Giavara (Cal), 6-2, 6-0
2. No. 121 Jada Hart (UCLA) def. Julia Rosenqvist (Cal), 6-2, 6-0
3. No. 113 Elysia Bolton (UCLA) def. Valentina Ivanov (Cal), 6-3, 6-4
4. Vivian Wolff (UCLA) def. Jada Bui (Cal), 6-1, 6-4^
5. Annette Goulak (UCLA) def. Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal), 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
6. Vanessa Ong (UCLA) def. Anna Bright (Cal), 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish – 2, 1, 4^, 6, 3, 5
^Clinched the overall match