USC Women’s Tennis Defeated by Stanford 6-1
LOS ANGELES--The No. 34 USC women's tennis team fell to No. 38 Stanford 6-1 today (Apr. 10) at Marks Stadium. The Women of Troy now hold a 11-8 overall record and a 5-4 Pac-12 record for the 2021 season.
Doubles kicked off the match and the Cardinal made the first move. Stanford's Gordon/Madurawe defeated Trojan tandem Cayetano/Kulikov 6-2 on court one. The Cardinal responded with another victory from court three when Choy/Higuchi beat USC's Cheong/Dvorak 7-5 to claim the doubles point.
USC entered singles at a 0-1 deficit.
The Cardinal took their doubles momentum into singles as Stanford's Sara Choy put another point on the board with her 6-2, 6-0 win over USC redshirt senior Summer Dvorak on court four. Stanford led the match 2-0.
On court five, Trojan redshirt senior Constance Branstine fell 6-1, 6-3 to Stanford's Emma Higuchi to notch another Cardinal point.
Stanford's Angelica Blake clinched the match for the Cardinal from court two as she defeated USC sophomore No. 123 Eryn Cayetano 6-3, 2-6, 6-4.
Although the match was clinched, the remaining courts were played out.
Trojan junior Salma Ewing put the only USC point on the board with her 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-3) victory over Stanford's No. 48 Michaela Gordon. This was Ewing's second singles win of the weekend, and both wins were against opponents ranked in the Top 50.
USC junior Danielle Willson lost her match 5-7, 7-6 (4), 1-0 (10-3) on court three to Stanford's Emily Arbuthnott. The Cardinal increased their lead to 5-1.
On court six, Stanford's India Houghton wrapped up the match with a win over USC redshirt senior Clare McKee 3-6, 6-2, 7-5 to make the final score 6-1.
USC now turns its attention to its final conference match of the season. The Trojans will travel across town to face rival UCLA in Westwood, Calif. on Friday (Apr. 16) at 1:30 p.m. PT.
No. 38 Stanford 6, No. 34 USC 1
April 10, 2021 – Marks Stadium | Los Angeles, Cali.
- Gordon/Madurawe (Stan.) def. Cayetano/Kulikov (USC) – 6-2
- Ewing/McKee (USC) vs. Blake/Arbuthnott (Stan.) – 6-5 susp.
- Choy/Higuchi (Stan.) def. Cheong/Dvorak (USC) – 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3
Stanford wins the doubles point
- Salma Ewing (USC) def. #48 Michaela Gordon (Stan.) – 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-3)
- Angelica Blake (Stan.) def. #123 Eryn Cayetano (USC) – 6-3, 2-6, 6-4*
- Emily Arbuthnott (Stan.) def. Danielle Willson (USC) – 5-7, 7-6 (4), 1-0 (10-3)
- Sara Choy (Stan.) def. Summer Dvorak (USC) – 6-2, 6-0
- Emma Higuchi (Stan.) def. Constance Branstine (USC) – 6-1, 6-3
- India Houghton (Stan.) def. Clare McKee (USC) – 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 2*, 1, 3, 6