Women's Tennis Drops Road Contest To Arizona
Tucson, Ariz. – The Ute tennis team closed out its pair of road matches in the desert this Saturday afternoon against the Arizona Wildcats in Pac-12 play, and although securing the doubles point, the Utes ultimately fell short to Arizona for final score of 4-2.
"We did a good job of making adjustments and capturing the doubles point today, and need to capitalize on that momentum better in singles," said head coach Ric Mortera. "Anastasia did a good job of bouncing back from a tough match yesterday to play the way she did today. Lindsay continues to put herself in good, competitive situations to be successful and that will pay off. We will continue to embrace every opportunity we have to grow and develop. We have a great opportunity to have a good week of practice and compete again next weekend."
During doubles play, the Utes worked from start to finish to secure the first point of the match. On court one, Emily Dush and Anastasia Goncharova fell short 6-3. However, on court three Lindsay Hung and Madison Tattini took the upper hand against the Arizona duo, 6-4 to keep the Utes alive.
Soon after, teammates Anya Lamoreaux and Madeline Lamoreaux also took the victory on court two in a tight match, 6-4, where they built and lead early and although it got tight midway through, they outlasted the Arizona duo to award the Utes with their first point.
As the teams moved into singles play, couldn't keep the momentum and picked up just two first sets despite matches being very competitive across the board. On court one, M. Lamoreaux fell short to Arizona's Jelena Lukic, 6-3, 6-3, granting the Wildcats their first point of the match.
The Utes scored their second point to retake the lead when Goncharova downed Abby Amos on court four, 6-4, 6-1. The Wildcats responded and took their second point soon after on court six, where Tattini fell short 7-5, 6-2.
The tie was broken on court two, where Arizona's Kayla Wilkins downed Dush 6-4, 6-3, placing the Wildcats in the lead. The match was then clinched after A. Lamoreaux fell to her opponent on court five, 7-5, 6-3, granting Arizona the victory. Hung was battling out her third set as the match went unfinished.
The Utes will close out regular season play next Friday, Apr. 16 against Colorado. The first serve will take place at 1:30 p.m. MT at the South Campus Tennis Complex in Boulder, Colo.
ARIZONA 4, UTAH 2
1. Jelena Lukic (ARIZ) def. Madeline Lamoreaux (UTAH) 6-3, 6-3
2. Kayla Wilkins (ARIZ) def. Emily Dush (UTAH) 6-4, 6-3
3. Lindsay Hung (UTAH) vs Tayla Zandberg (ARIZ) 6-4, 3-6, 1-2 unf.
4. Anastasia Goncharova (UTAH) def. Abby Amos (ARIZ) 6-4, 6-1
5. Gitte Heynemans (ARIZ) def. Anya Lamoreaux (UTAH) 7-5, 6-3
6. Khim Iglupas (ARIZ) def. Madison Tattini (UTAH) 7-5, 6-2
1. Jelena Lukic/Khim Iglupas (ARIZ) def. Emily Dush/Anastasia Goncharova (UTAH) 6-3
2. Anya Lamoreaux/Madeline Lamoreaux (UTAH) def. Gitte Heynemans/Kayla Wilkins (ARIZ) 6-4
3. Lindsay Hung/Madison Tattini (UTAH) def. Abby Amos/Tayla Zandberg (ARIZ) 6-4