Luna Impresses in Relief, Cats Drop Finale to Cal
TUCSON, Ariz. — The Arizona Wildcats (21-9, 7-5) dropped their series finale to the California Golden Bear (17-13, 5-4) on a final score of 9-1 on Sunday afternoon at Hi Corbett Field.
The Wildcats only run of the afternoon came on a solo home run from Ryan Holgate in the bottom of the seventh inning, his fifth long ball of the year. Arizona was out-scored by eight runs despite only having one fewer hit than California.
True freshman Jacob Berry finished the day 1-for-3 with a single, extending his team-leading hit streak to 15 games. He is now hitting .415 on the year.
Left-hander Gil Luna and righty Austin Smith provided stellar relief for the Wildcats down the stretch, combining to toss 5.0 hitless innings to close out the afternoon. The two combined to register four strikeouts and issued just two walks.
- RF Ryan Holgate: 1-for-4, R, HR, RBI
- DH Jacob Berry: 1-for-3, 15-game hit streak
- LHP Gil Luna: 3.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 K
- RHP Austin Smith: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
Number of the Day
- Holgate's solo home run in the bottom of the seventh broke up the Cal shutout attempt, and extended the Wildcats scoring streak to 139 games.
Photo of the Day
Tweet of the Day
— Arizona Baseball (@ArizonaBaseball) April 11, 2021
Arizona travels for a midweek contest against Grand Canyon in Phoenix on Tuesday, April 13. The game will be televised on ESPN3 and broadcast on Wildcats Radio 1290.