Ducks Post 4-0 Win Over UTSA
EUGENE, Ore. – The Oregon men's tennis team opened its week with a 4-0 win over UTSA on a sunny but windy Tuesday afternoon in Eugene. The victory snapped a three-match skid and pushed the team's record to 14-5 this season. With the result, the Ducks also remain undefeated at home.
How it Happened: Oregon took the early 1-0 match lead with wins at No. 2 and 3 doubles, securing the first point of the day. Emmanuel Coste and Jesper Klöv-Nilsson were the first UO team off the court with their 6-2 win at the second spot in the lineup. Coste and Klöv-Nilsson improve to 12-5 this season. The Ducks clinched the doubles point with a 6-4 win from Brandon Lam and Ryoma Matsushita at three.
Lam continued his winning ways with a straight-set victory at No. 5 singles, good for his 10th win of the season in singles play. The UO senior has won his last three matches. Klöv-Nilsson collected his team-leading 14th win and pushed the Ducks' lead to 3-0 with his victory at No. 4 singles.
UTSA (13-7) entered Tuesday as a winner in six of its last seven matches but the Ducks' were in control throughout the match. With the team's third point on the board, Oregon held the lead deep in set two of matches at No. 2, 3 and 6.
It was Quinn Vandecasteele—No. 3 singles—that got to the finish line first, clinching the Ducks' victory with a straight-set win. At the time, Joshua Charlton led 6-3, 5-2 at two and Luke Vandecasteele led 6-3, 5-4 at six. In a top-125 matchup at No. 1 singles, the visitors' Juri Reckow won the first set but Coste had jumped out to a 3-0 advantage in the second by the time the team win was clinched.
Up Next: The Ducks host No. 37 Stanford in their final home match of the season. First serve is set for 3 p.m. (PT) at the UO Student Tennis Center. The Pac-12 Tournament will be held April 23-26 at the Barnes Tennis Center in San Diego, Calif.
Oregon 4, UTSA 0
1. Charlton/Q. Vandecasteele (ORE) vs Ceolin/Gulin (UTSA) – 5-4 unfinished
2. Coste/Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) d. Reckow/Breitbach (UTSA) – 6-2
3. Lam/Matsushita (ORE) d. Gonzalez/Skelly (UTSA) – 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. #91 Emmanuel Coste (ORE) vs #121 Juri Reckow (UTSA) – 4-6, 3-0 unfinished
2. Joshua Charlton (ORE) vs Joao Ceolin (UTSA) – 6-3, 5-2 unfinished
3. Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Kai Breitbach (UTSA) – 6-2, 6-3
4. Jesper Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) d. Javier Gonzalez (UTSA) – 6-3, 6-2
5. Brandon Lam (ORE) d. Slava Gulin (UTSA) – 6-1, 6-2
6. Luke Vandecasteele (ORE) vs Javier Rodriguez (UTSA) – 6-3, 5-4 unfinished
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 3*
* - clincher
For more news and information about the Ducks, follow @OregonMTennis on Instagram and Twitter, and @OregonMensTennis on Facebook.